GBR couple just laid over 100 EGGS! Holla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Phishin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What up everybody!? So, the GBR pair, that I thought had formed a couple, has spawned, over 100 eggs easy! I introduced 2 males and 2 females to my tank over the past week, found out who the dominant couple was, and then, returned the recessive (less-dominant) GBR couple back to the LFS (which were indeed getting bulllied, picked on, lost their color, and confidence), and in just a few hours.. wha-laa.. eggs! Pretty hyped!

Thanks man. I don't really have any high expectations of these eggs to survive because I have a couple tank-mate, inhabitants that I'm sure will pick off these eggs (and the parents too bc its their first spawning). Though, I did take your advice of over-stocking, and returned 2 of the small angels (have one left)and the less-dominant couple of GBRs (male yesterday, female today - 4 fish total returned). Within 2 hours of doing so, the dominant GBR couple laid eggs. I think my pleco and spotted-synodontis will clean house on the eggs, within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, I'm going to look for a small breeding tank and properly prepare for the next spawn. Let me know of any advice to properly breed this GBR couple successfully, and in an easy manner.. thanks guys.. much appreciated!

Sounds like you got it under control. I've never had any rams that could keep fry, they always ate them at some point. I have done much better just waiting for the eggs to start wiggling and then transfer them to their own tank for growout.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom