gbr dropsy curable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a gbr with dropsy. Ehat do i do with the other fishes in the tank and is it curable

What sized tank? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters? What are his symptoms & how long have they been occurring? Do you have a qt tank? Dropsy is a symptom of internal disease and not a disease itself. Whether or not it can be treated depends on its cause (bacterial, viral or parasitic infection) and its severity. Once a fish has 'pineconed' (scales protrude from accumulation of fluids due to kidney damage), the prognosis is not very positive. Some more information will help us to help you better!

I agree totally with what jlk said. Dropsy is caused by fluid building up under the fish's skin but the fluid can be from a variety of different illnesses ranging from bacterial infections to liver failure. Dropsy is usually fatal once it has progressed to the point where it can be easily diagnosed, but knowing a bit more about the situation will help us give you more helpful advice about trying to treat it. :)

Tank size is 20 gallon. It is cycled. Its swimming up side down... can it spread

Whether or not it spreads depends on what caused it. Unfortunately, that is almost impossible for us to know. So, the best advice I can give you about that is to keep a close eye the other fish and hope for the best.
You can use a rubbermaid bin or something similar as a qt.

What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate? It really depends on the cause on whether or not it can spread. If its caused by a parasite or a virus, there is the potential for your other fish to be affected. If its a bacterial infection, you can try to treat & hope for the best. Is the fish in question pineconed (bloated & scales are sticking out) or just having difficulty swimming?

Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
It has already pine coned

At that point, I suggest Euthanasia, but the little guy out of its misery. I had a betta die like that a few days ago.

Your only option here would be to qt him & try treating with aquarium salt & kanamycin & hope for the best. He may or may not recover. If he is suffering unduly, euthansia may be worth considering but this will be solely your decision. I am sorry about your fish & i wish you the best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom