GBR experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stupid app just dropped a hugee post on my phone.. grrr.. anyways.. a few things.
The stocked 55 will.require more filtration, maybe add a canister or ac110. Rams require a stable/mature tank. Your tank may have been running for a while, if you junk the filter and clean the tank you're basically back to square one. What are you testing your water with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. Maybe i didn't put the right filtration. Let me check again. It said it was made for a 75 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We didn't clean the tank (like clean clean.... Just did a large water change two weeks ago) but we kept the rocks in and did a small vac. We had the one filter it came with on it for the first week and then just switched filters. We are using the API fresh

Kid hit send.....

The api freshwater master test kit is what we are using

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408042335.997191.jpg

This is the filtration system (the new one we bought).

Ok, sound like you know what's up, wasn't trying to be little, just want to get the whole picture;) that's a great filter! 2 would be ideal for a fully stocked tank. That's my belief anyways.. i like over filtering my tanks, especially my ram tank, has an ac30 and 50 on it..

Gotcha. Would 2 of the same filter be good? They were like 50% off. I paid 35 for it I believe. Or i could use the old filter that was on it.... It was just noisy. Lol.

I agree with the filtration part anyways, I do up to 60% weekly wc on my ram tank and they're doing fine with it, temp match the water to a degree cooler though, also my water is gassed off/heated for a few days and pre-treated with prime. This ensures almost no parameter swings when a big wc is performed.

That's a good way of doing it to be fair, I haven't got anywhere to store water beforehand especially with little ones walking around!

Didn't think you were trying to belittle. And I am still Very new to this. ? lol.
Here is another question. We have been feeding the fish flake food 1x a day and then frozen worms 1x a day. The ram wont eat the flake food. She puts it in her mouth and spits it back out. Baha.
Is that feeding schedule sound ok? She does eat the worms. Both were eating the worms well.

I only feed once a day, frozen foods, I'll throw flake in one morning a week and a couple nights, i fast them Sundays, for Rams this is key, they can develop digestive issues, especially with bloodworms.. consider frozen brine shrimp and daphnia or cyclops, It will keep everything moving if you know what I mean;) I actually just picked up this frozen brine with spirulina or something in it?? Looks like a solid food..

That's a good way of doing it to be fair, I haven't got anywhere to store water beforehand especially with little ones walking around!

Yah, it's a 22 gal brute barrel with lid, I'd have it locked up if I had little ones around..

Good idea to put peas in occasionally as this is good for digestion.

You don't sound to have great stock there if they're not eating properly either.

Thats petsmart for you.
They eat bloodworms just wouldnt eat the flake food. I will try the other things you suggested too.

Never ever buy Rams from Petsmart or Petco. Don't even get me going as to why. If you do feed bloodworms, feed at a minimum like no more than once or twice a week as they can cause problems with Rams and other dwarfs. I just avoid them altogether. Blanched peas can also help with constipation but I found the Cobalt food with probiotics work just as well if not better for that.

Its the only place to buy rams here. I really dont want to pay the huge shipping fee... I guess I may have to.

Well, i have been feeding wrong then because I have been doing bloodworms daily. Where do i find the other food? Any petstore carry it?

Petsmart and petco have good frozen foods.. you'll be best in ordering and paying the shipping, if properly cared for those rams can live for years whereas the chain store rams will most likely all die within 5 months if not less..

Gotcha. Makes sense. We bought frozen foods at petco. They are called gumdrops. Bloodworms and brine shrimp. The ram wouldn't eat the shrimp.

All my Ram's and Apisto's eat are Brine, Mysis, Daphnia, Cyclops, Spirulina and now live worms. They should love the shrimp.

Well. They both died. Guess thats why they didn't eat.

As matter of fact almost half of my fish have died within the last two days.

Very upsetting.

Been checking my water multiple times and all levels are good. I don't know what happened.

Back
Top Bottom