gbr in plastic bin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can i do this because my other gbr is chasing this gbr and its getting really stressed out

How could you tell he's stressed? Are they nipping? How long have they been in the tank?

What size is the plastic bin? Is it filtered and heated and cycled? I don't think I would recommend it, GBRs are very delicate fish.

I would recommend separating one in a quarantine tank that is cycled. But I guess a good size bin with an established filter and heater is just like a glass tank.

I think as long as it's food grade there's no problem. A lot of people use Rubbermaid bins as a QT/hospital tank. Just make sure it's filtered and heated. I've definitely heard of people basically giving their fish a "time-out" to curb aggression.

orandafan12 said:
ive actually got a 5 gallon hex i can use that. could i use that?

I suppose that's fine for short term, obviously you wouldn't do that for any significant amount of time. I'm not sure how long people leave their aggressive fish in time-out. I think I remember someone saying just for a day to chill them out...I'm not certain though.

Alrights heres what im doing. I have a regular 5 gal with a betta in it. Im moving him to the hex and putting the gbr in the regular one. Sound good?

orandafan12 said:
Alrights heres what im doing. I have a regular 5 gal with a betta in it. Im moving him to the hex and putting the gbr in the regular one. Sound good?

If you're only taking him out of the tank for a day or so...I'm not sure it's that important where he goes. But again, I've never personally done this.

I have a similar situation going on with two bolivian rams. I put the aggressive ram in a breeding bin attached to the inside of the tank. I figure this way he stays in the environment he's use to but like eco said, it's basically a time out. He looks like he is in prison.

The bin was around $5 at petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom