GBR pairing dance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixelcatt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had a pair of gbr before but for some reason picking between male and female with this batch was diffcult. Plus theres so much conflicting information. These guys just came in yesterday and i was told they were so stressed they had no color at all. Today they had some but still not a lot.

I did my best to pick 2 males and 2 females. One i am convinced is male and two I'm sure are females because the have large round pink bellies. The fourth has no black on dorsal but only the sheen of blue on the outer edges of its black spot. Hes a little bigger than the others though. What confuses the heck out of me is i can see his belly. Its not as pronounced as the two females but is visible through the skin.

Another thing i wanted to know about is courting behavior. The one I'm sure is male has already appeared to pick one of the females. The other female has isolated herself except for when she approaches the one I'm not sure about. She would come up and tightly wedge herself underneath and against him. I was curious if this is a female showing submission to a male? I'm hoping thats the case cause that would mean there are two of each.

The one i wasnt sure about is clearly male. Him and the other male are trying to dance with the same female. Its so sad cause theyre both after the one female and the other female is only interested in the male i wasnt sure about. She keeps trying to initiate a dance with him then she goes to a corner and pouts.

The one i wasnt sure about is clearly male. Him and the other male are trying to dance with the same female. Its so sad cause theyre both after the one female and the other female is only interested in the male i wasnt sure about. She keeps trying to initiate a dance with him then she goes to a corner and pouts.

Obviously, the one female has got "the stuff" that attracts the males. The other female might be too young still to entice a male. Let her practice as long as the males don't beat her up. ;)

i was told to get 2 females to 1 male and they will pair up naturally. 2 males to one female will stress the female and the males might fight to "win" her.

They didnt really have enough to do that. In the past i always got one of each and they did great. Clearly a female without a male becomes depressed.

I was worried about the same thing even though all theyve done is dance and the males dont seem to mind eachother. I split the couples up and now the lonely female is getting some attention. Ill give them a couple of days and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom