GBR sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blindmelon119

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found two German Blue Rams at my LPS and bought them yesterday. I'd never seen them there before. Pretty much, if they aren't Guppies, common Tetras or Frank-in-fish, they aren't carried. Long story short, I've read other posts on the subject and I studied websites and I'm still clueless. They look exactly the same and when this photo was taken they were probably still stressed. I am GUESSING two females. Can someone with knowledge help me out? What do I have?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388769884.840404.jpg

The one up front looks like a female, I can't tell the one in the back.

Thanks to the both of you. For my learning benefit, what are you seeing that makes you think females? The shape of the head?

I found two German Blue Rams at my LPS and bought them yesterday. I'd never seen them there before. Pretty much, if they aren't Guppies, common Tetras or Frank-in-fish, they aren't carried. Long story short, I've read other posts on the subject and I studied websites and I'm still clueless. They look exactly the same and when this photo was taken they were probably still stressed. I am GUESSING two females. Can someone with knowledge help me out? What do I have?View attachment 214903

Just out of curiosity, is that a killy next to the ram?

Good luck with them! I have tried so many times and have never had long term success with them. Definitely one of the most difficult dwarf cichlids to keep. They can be tricky to sex. Sometimes you will see a male with very female characteristics or vise versa. Here are some points to look for:

Attachments

• Female GBR.jpg
    Female GBR.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Male GBR.jpg
    Male GBR.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 215
Back
Top Bottom