Gbr's and ferts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure he isn't a she? Couple weeks ago when my girl ram was bloated and scooting, it turned out she was laying eggs. I was really worried for a while.
oh man threnjen, don't do this to me now :/ if you wouldn't mind.. Exact behavior/timeline???

I am totally NOT a ram expert so don't take too much from this, I've only had her a month. This was just my experience.
But like two weeks ago, she was huddling down at the bottom in a corner of the tank and seemed lethargic. Every few minutes she would "scoot" her body along the bottom of the tank, and her belly seemed swollen. I also saw a tiny bit of white sticking out of her. I freaked out and thought she had a parasite because I thought she was flashing and scratching on the bottom. When hubby and I looked closer and more carefully we saw little eggs everywhere. They were super tiny and practically translucent and blended into the substrate.

I am totally NOT a ram expert so don't take too much from this, I've only had her a month. This was just my experience. But like two weeks ago, she was huddling down at the bottom in a corner of the tank and seemed lethargic. Every few minutes she would "scoot" her body along the bottom of the tank, and her belly seemed swollen. I also saw a tiny bit of white sticking out of her. I freaked out and thought she had a parasite because I thought she was flashing and scratching on the bottom. When hubby and I looked closer and more carefully we saw little eggs everywhere. They were super tiny and practically translucent and blended into the substrate.
how long did this behavior last? I don't see eggs..

The "white" that you saw sticking out was her ovipositor. Males have one too but it's a bit more pointed, for spraying the sperm over the eggs. The female's is more tube-like.

Brookster, this will be just in front of the anal fin.

I've never had a female act like that when laying eggs. I've only had males act like that and then a few days later they were dead. No idea why. Water was pristine, pH was fine, no new additions to the tank.

My females when they start to spawn are evil little snots. They bully their male until he's right there beside them, they scoot over a spot, drop an egg, dart after the male, drop another egg, he follows behind. You know who wears the fins in their relationships...

i don't really have any more deets. She just did it for about half a day. After she was done with her eggs, she occasionally went back to them for a snack lol

DragonFish are you saying mine's activity was unusual?

Thanks ladies!! I'm still thinking he's a he and he is still sulking on the bottom, no better, no worse, I'm going to hit another dose of paraguard, maybe I'll unlock the secret cure to gbr immortality! Or.. A year would be fine... Maybe 3 more months Rammy?? Awwww

Mr ram is still hanging on, day 2 of paraguard, temp 81-82, he's just sitting in his spongebob piñapple in qt, I tried to switch it for a cichlid stone but he said I should leave it... Ok Rammy, whatever keeps you happy..

Rammy is still kicking, looks fine, colors are great, fins popped, just glued to the bottom.. I started API General cure this morning after 60% wc.

Yah! This is my first time playing Dr. Feeshman so I'm thinking his prognosis is optimistic!

Thanks! I hope all goes well so I don't catch my first malpractice law suits.. Rammy has a great lawyer!

Mr ram is still dancing! He's actually starting to move about a little more, he'll swim for a minute, than fall back to bottom, then he'll do a little spastic swim like he's so frustrated he can't swim .. Wondering if this a swim bladder issue?? Anyone??

Someone was swimming around this morning all happy bappy! Hmmmm Dr. Rammster has a nice ring to it. By appointment only please, house calls are extra;)

Back
Top Bottom