GE Plant and Aquarium 20?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outofstep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone know anything about these bulbs? They had em at Lowes, but I was hesitant to buy. The CRI is 90 by the way.

If they're labeled as plant bulbs I'm guessing that they're Kelvin raing is in the acceptable 5000-10000K range. Hopefully someone who has used them can comment.

They work great, in tandem with a daylight bulb anyway. The K is only 3100 but the CRI is 90. I don't know what these numbers mean as far how important they TRUELY are to plant growth but I can tell you it is very bright. Just as bright as the dalight bulb that is right beside it. The only difference, the bulb is redish in color. I use one beside a daylight and my colors are true and the tank is bright. More important, my Red melon sword is doubling in size every 4 days or so.

dual 40 watt standard shop fixture over 2 10 gallon tanks side by side.

The numbers are the same for all the plant/aquarium bulbs. Just different wattage. I think they are great and I will continue to use them until they don't work.

the GE plant & aquarium bulbs i have are like the 9325K CF tubes. very pinkish/purplish light. good for plants, but not very bright to the human eye. I'd mix em with a 6700k or 10,000k.

Sorry Malkore, I meant the numbers were the same for NO flourescents. Mixing them is the best idea I have read on here. I think it makes a huge difference. If I ever get a 4 bulb setup, I will have 4 different bulbs in it. Probably a daylight, a plant/aquarium, a natural light and another one in another K rating. It is looking more and more like that type of setup would be the best a plant can get.

Hmmm, so i'm guessing the two 18000k bulbs i'm using may be contributing to my plants looking like crap.

Mikebaker said:
Hmmm, so i'm guessing the two 18000k bulbs i'm using may be contributing to my plants looking like crap.

Not necessarily. K temp isn't a good way to determine how good a bulb is anymore. The phosphor coatings they use now are more advanced than in the past.

As long as you're not using actinics, or incandescent bulbs, it really does boil down to quantity of light, vs. quality. Throw enough light at plants, and as long as there are nutrients, they'll grow.

As long as you're not using actinics, or incandescent bulbs

Interesting choices in bulbs you used, if you combine them you get huge spikes in reds and blues (and actinic is within the photosynthetic curve).. apparently perfect for growing.

a general guide for bulbs is.

If it's tri-phosphor (Full spectrum) it will grow plants. the temperature is up to you..

Back
Top Bottom