Gender of bristlenose pleco? Pic included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sera

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my bristlenose pleco almost two months now and I've yet to see any bristles. How long before they come in, or don't? Is there any other way to tell the gender? I've included a pic, not the best but it's a shy one ?

Sent from my E2306 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1473473500139.jpg
    1473473500139.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 169
As they age you'll be able to tell by the bristles length.
Longer=male

images
this is a good pic of a male bristlenose pleco.
images
this is a good pic of a female picture

Thanks all for the help! The pics are especially helpful for reference, can't wait for my pleco to grow a bit more and see what happens!!!

How do you know what a female is then? Do they have any bristles at all? Any idea how long it takes for them to mature, I got mine very young so I'm wondering how long a wait I'm in for ~ either way he/she is one of my fav fish, they have this prehistoric look that is so cool!

Make have prominent bristles. Females may have noticeable bristles but nothing over 3/16"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a male an female that were breeding the male had long bristles with forks at the end the female had no bristle but she was younger than the male but they were breeding like crazy had half albino an half brown was cool

Oh that sounds cool! I considered albino but heard they were a bit more delicate ? but man are they pretty!!!

I got a 2.5 inch albino about a week ago and he/she is pretty awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aww I wish I had more room for more but my tank can't handle another poop machine ? albinos are so cool!!

I have about 2 dozen right now. Come to Maryland and they're free

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Poop machine you say?? I was given 2 very small juvies 6 months ago and now one is pushing 6+" !!!!!! Holy pooooi

No more plecos!!!

That's about where I'm at as well. I have at least 9 adults too :/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom