Gender of guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_2345

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if water parameters determine the gender of the guppies. my guppies are 3 weeks old.

I was wondering if water parameters determine the gender of the guppies. my guppies are 3 weeks old.

They are easy to sex, but at three weeks I'm not certain.(I have never raised guppy fry) Males are skinny and fins are brightly colored, while females are bigger and fins don't have much color.

no.. wat i meant was that if the water parameters will affect the gender of the guppies? i heard that ph levels affect the gender of fry. i don't remember what it was but i think it was that hight ph will be like male and low will be females.. anyone out there heard of this or is bs?

I don't think ph effects it, I have guppies. I think they come out as male or female. I have never actually paid much attention to that though......

i have had 3 guppy fry and all of them are female. I think my ph is around neutral;7. I also have 12swordtail fry but its too early to sex them yet :( Cant wait till my oldest guppy gets full colour on her tail(she has little bit of an orangy tint)

I have a mixture of female and male guppy fry from the same batch... so I don't think the ph makes a difference. I do know that water temperature will affect the amount of fry that a female gives birth to though.

As much of a 50 50 chance that there is, I find most of them end up being female than male. I guess it's not so half and half lol. out of a brood of 40 mollies I have like 10 times more females than I do males.

Back
Top Bottom