General Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all.

I am working on cycling my 20, planted, aquarium. I am planning a peaceful/live bearer community. I love shrimp and was curious what shrimp would do well? I really want a bamboo shrimp or two. My LFS only carries Bamboo and Ghosts sadly.

My bulb will be a FLO FLORAMAX BULB 17W from Aqueon for the plants, is this safe for shrimp too? also what kind of hiding is good for them?

You could probably do a bamboo shrimp and several ghost shrimp. The lighting will be fine. As for hiding spots, shrimp love live plants.

wait extra long too add the bamboo shrimp(like, several months). as filter feeders they filter particals out of the water, and can starve quickly in anew tank.

I am looking at a guppy/tetra tank not quite sure how to go about stocking the general 1" / gallon. How do I measure shrimp /gal same rule?

I would go tetra or guppies not both, but that would just be my own personal preference. 1" a gallon rule is rubbish, I would start out with two trios of guppies/endlers or 5-10 small tetra, danio or rasboras.

Bamboo Shrimp love a well planted tank, and it is best to wait for a few months to establish the tank. It can be difficult to keep them they need pretty clean water with particles of food to filter/eat! It is an opposite situation, clean dirty water, lol

One thing I have found may be good is Hikari First Bites, mine seems to like it and I don't have to smash it up! Usually feed it 1-2 times per week, usually I will make it the day before a pwc. To keep best water quality.

When you are ready to buy, look for active well colored filtering shrimp. :cool:

Drip acclimate? That's adding water a bit at a time in the bag?

You place the fish in a bucket and use an airline to slowly drip water into the bag at a drop a second or so. Let it go until you have 50% more water, ten remove half and drip until you get another 50% more, then release into the tank.

That is interesting. I've never heard of that xD. I have an extra lizzard drip that does about that has a valve to control the drips. I probably wouldn't need too big of a bucket?

Back
Top Bottom