genetically engineered fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody know of any other genetically engineered fish? I'm not interested in buying any but I think its interesting to see how GE has crossed over into the aquarium fish market. I worked in a lab which studied the long term effects of GE on crop plants and some of them can get really messed up many generations down the line. I'd be interested to know if anything like that has been seen in GE fish.

How do you think we got BIO-luminescent displays in the first place?

They are using the fish as a means (host) to manufacture a product (bio-luminescence) they can't get cheaply otherwise. They took luminescent sea creatures from the S. Pacific, took the DNA that produces the luminescence and injected it into certain easily bred fish. It just happened that someone thought it would be cute to be able to sell some to the public too to make a few extra $$'s. It does not harm the fish in any way.

Well, except for the fact they can't hide at night......

But, except for certain deep water SW fish, how well do you think these glo fish would do in the wild?

Sitting targets I think. They wouldn't last very long with predators around.

Too bad we couldn't steal a little bit of the genetic info and transplant it into the US Congress & Senate...

Then we would all know who the glowing idiots were. LOL :)

Aren't Flowerhorns genetically engineered? I've definitely heard them referred to as "mutants" before.

2cnh0fk.jpg

Last edited:
How do you think we got BIO-luminescent displays in the first place?

They are using the fish as a means (host) to manufacture a product (bio-luminescence) they can't get cheaply otherwise. They took luminescent sea creatures from the S. Pacific, took the DNA that produces the luminescence and injected it into certain easily bred fish. It just happened that someone thought it would be cute to be able to sell some to the public too to make a few extra $$'s. It does not harm the fish in any way.

Everything I've read on them seems to suggest that this DNA is stable in these fish with many generations of breeding in there. Heck, those guys are all over the pet stores, so they must be doing fine in aquaria at least.

BUT.... It's still playing with DNA.

And my concern is: how will their popularity be received by the kinds of people who play with fish DNA? Is this going to spark all kinds of "lets try putting this DNA into a [insert fish name]"?

Wow....way too many comments that I wanted to quote and laugh at. So
OMG Speed!!!! Kimo: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ROTFLMAOPMP! Hehe.

I bet the fish would learn adaptive measures, either that, or within a few days, it would no longer be a problem.

I wonder if predators would just assume they were poisonous.

Predators wouldn't mind. They would just go "gulp".... Ah! If it was poisonous, it still wouldn't bother the snails and others on the cleanup crew.

I thought flowerhorns were just a case of heavily selective breeding? I'm pretty sure they aren't genetically modified by means of DNA transfer..... *runs to google*

Flowerhorns

"As was stated in some reports, the Flower Horn Fish is also known as a "mutated" breed of fish. Rest assured that this is just a claim. Flower Horn Fish has gone through a lot of selective cross breeding in order to have the best characteristics of the respective strains of the Cichlid Fish family. For instance, most breeders are striving to produce Flower Horn with bigger nuchal hump on the forehead, better coloration, bolder black marking on the body (which at times resembles Chinese characters), more elegant fins, and wider body. No chemicals, or biogenetic engineering have been incorporated to improve on the traits / characteristics of the Flower Horn. Thus, the claim that this is a mutated fish is unfounded."

not a muntant as stated above just a crossbred... people that think they are "mutants" feel so because we are messing with strains of fish to creat them and losing purity..

Kimo you crack me up..couldn't have said it better myself

Back
Top Bottom