German Blue Ram Sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rara196

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! This is my first time joining a forum....:huh: Anyways, Can anybody give me some pointers on how to spot a male and female german blue ram? Please try to go in depth with the descriptions. Tank You!:fish2:

Thank you, but I have already looked at those. I'll send pictures of my 3 rams. If you hover above the pictures there should be a number, so please tell me what number is male or female.:thanks:

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 86
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 88
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 83
WOW, it's very hard to tell from these pics. When they are young it's next to impossible. As best I can tell by your pics, #1 is a male and #2 female. I couldn't tell on #3. However, don't bet the farm on my opinion. I bought 4 juvies, let them get older and after two months two of them paired up. I ended up with one male and 3 females. I put the two odd out females in my big tank and now the pair have a "honeymoon home" all their own.
They kept their first spawn for 48 hrs but I lost the eggs to fungus. I'll be ready with antifungal next spawn. They were really great parents while the eggs were viable. So fun watching them dote over their eggs! OS.

I have particularly noticed that #1 ( Maybe A Male) Constantly is aggressive toward the other Rams.:huh:

I've had more than my fair share with sexing blue rams. As others have stated it's pretty much a crap shoot when they are young. 50/50 at best.
What I've been doing is going to my LFS every now and then and seeing if he has some that are a little more mature. Pretty much the easiest way to tell them apart is the female will get a pinkish/redish tint to their bellies. If I find one of those I'll usually grab it up.

If I had to take a guess at your pictures, I'd say #2 is female and the other two are males. The dominant male will pretty much chase the other rams pretty much most of the time. When they mate the female usually puts him in his place though.

Thank for the info, Now that the German Ram's color has started to come in, i've noticed that #2 has a pink belly( most likely a female) and #1 is definitely a male, the black dot is pure black with no blue sheens in it! I'm thinking of taking #3 back to the LFS. Hopefully the other two pair up.

Back
Top Bottom