German Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I have the fever. I fell in LOVE with German Blue Rams when I saw some at the store! I want some experiences, tips, and warnings from people who have had these fish. (I am expecting an answer from maxwellag especially ;) ) I would like you to tell me what you think of this fish in general.

Question 2: Are these fish compatible with:
Neon tetras
Cories
Platies
Zebra Danios
Gouramis
Bristlenose Plecostamus

I really hope they are at least compatible with Platies, Neon tetras, and Zebra Danios, because I already own these. ;) Oh and this is a 55 gallon tank, recently cycled. Don't worry, I won't get it soon!

Ok, I have the fever. I fell in LOVE with German Blue Rams when I saw some at the store! I want some experiences, tips, and warnings from people who have had these fish. (I am expecting an answer from maxwellag especially ;) ) I would like you to tell me what you think of this fish in general.

Question 2: Are these fish compatible with:
Neon tetras
Cories
Platies
Zebra Danios
Gouramis
Bristlenose Plecostamus

I really hope they are at least compatible with Platies, Neon tetras, and Zebra Danios, because I already own these. ;) Oh and this is a 55 gallon tank, recently cycled. Don't worry, I won't get it soon!

Well, I don't know about all your fish, but I have my rams in a 55 gal with black neons, opaline gourami, 1 platy, von rio tetras, and some emerald corries and everyone gets along well. Unless they try to get in Ram territory and then there's some chasing, but that's about it. I keep the temp at 84f, do weekly 25-30% water changes, and have a pretty good amount of live plants. I feed freeze dried tubifex worms, Omega One flake food and the occasional shrimp pellet. I've had my pair for almost a year now and i LOVE them. Good luck!

Well, I don't know about all your fish, but I have my rams in a 55 gal with black neons, opaline gourami, 1 platy, von rio tetras, and some emerald corries and everyone gets along well. Unless they try to get in Ram territory and then there's some chasing, but that's about it. I keep the temp at 84f, do weekly 25-30% water changes, and have a pretty good amount of live plants. I feed freeze dried tubifex worms, Omega One flake food and the occasional shrimp pellet. I've had my pair for almost a year now and i LOVE them. Good luck!
Ok, few questions. Can I raise my temperature to 80 degrees and that will be ok? I don't want it too high. Another question is, my tank is in the last throes of cycling. How long should I wait to get Ram(s)? 3 months? Also, can I do frozen bloodworms instead? Isn't that a bit more nutritious?

The most concerning question I have is, my pH is in the 7.8 - 8.2 range! Don't they need at most 7.0? I heard that pH doesn't matter, but water softening does. But my API Freshwater Master Test Kit doesn't test GH/KH! What do I do??

I have two German Blue Rams. What type of Gourami do you have, cause my Dwarf Gourami bullies my Rams. There has never been any physical harm, usually just chasing, and there are plenty hiding spots and plants in my tank that line of sight is broken. Rams can very easily tolerate Temperature ranges of up to 86 Degrees, and the PH Shouldn't be an issue if you have store-bought rams that are accustomed to higher PH.

A Word of warning though, Rams have a very notorious reputation of suddenly dying. I had a pair before my current pair that died for absolutely no reason at all (one day just got lethargic and died).

pH does not matter, keep it stable and acclimate the fish properly. GBRs are sensitive to water conditions and don't do well at all when the nitrate rises, keep it below 20ppm if you can and keep the water very clean. Your tank should be very stable before getting one so I would wait AT LEAST a month after the cycle has fully completed just to be sure. I really dig GBRs, they are fun and have great personalities.

Oh, and all those fish listed should be fine with them. They are quite peaceful unless their territory is invaded, but then it is usually just a quick chase to remove the unwanted guest and then done.

I have two German Blue Rams. What type of Gourami do you have, cause my Dwarf Gourami bullies my Rams. There has never been any physical harm, usually just chasing, and there are plenty hiding spots and plants in my tank that line of sight is broken. Rams can very easily tolerate Temperature ranges of up to 86 Degrees, and the PH Shouldn't be an issue if you have store-bought rams that are accustomed to higher PH.

A Word of warning though, Rams have a very notorious reputation of suddenly dying. I had a pair before my current pair that died for absolutely no reason at all (one day just got lethargic and died).
Ok, if I wanted to get 2 Rams, do I have to introduce them at the same time? What's your water change schedule? Do you test your water's GH and KH? What do you feed them?

BTW, I want a Gold and/or Blue Gourami.

pH does not matter, keep it stable and acclimate the fish properly. GBRs are sensitive to water conditions and don't do well at all when the nitrate rises, keep it below 20ppm if you can and keep the water very clean. Your tank should be very stable before getting one so I would wait AT LEAST a month after the cycle has fully completed just to be sure. I really dig GBRs, they are fun and have great personalities.

Oh, and all those fish listed should be fine with them. They are quite peaceful unless their territory is invaded, but then it is usually just a quick chase to remove the unwanted guest and then done.
How did you acclimate your Ram(s)?

phoenixkiller said:
How did you acclimate your Ram(s)?

I always use drip acclimation.
If you get two it would probably be best to get them both at the same time from the same place/tank.

I always use drip acclimation.
If you get two it would probably be best to get them both at the same time from the same place/tank.
Alright. I will wait about 2 months to get 'em. I tested my water and my cycle is finished! This will be the ultimate test of patience. I will get two rams simultaneously and will drip acclimate them. What's the best water change schedule for these guys? Also, I need to know how to sex them...

Ok, if I wanted to get 2 Rams, do I have to introduce them at the same time? What's your water change schedule? Do you test your water's GH and KH? What do you feed them?

BTW, I want a Gold and/or Blue Gourami.

Its best to introduce them at the same time, so if they arent a breeding-pair, they establish their own territory at the same time. I dont have a set water schedule because I have a Heavily planted tank, and the plants soak up all of the Nitrates in my tank. I do not test for GH or KH. I feed my Rams Flakes, Bloodworms, and once in a while, de-shelled peas for constipation.

Its best to introduce them at the same time, so if they arent a breeding-pair, they establish their own territory at the same time. I dont have a set water schedule because I have a Heavily planted tank, and the plants soak up all of the Nitrates in my tank. I do not test for GH or KH. I feed my Rams Flakes, Bloodworms, and once in a while, de-shelled peas for constipation.
Ok. I heard that I need to keep the water pretty clean. Does anyone know how to clean a large rubbermaid box to make it safe to store replacement water?

Just keep in mind that the gold and blue three spot gourami are very aggressive ime. Especially if you end up with two males. Opaline and pearl gourami are the most peaceful imo. My pH hangs around 6.8 but I agree that if propwrly acclimated they should do well.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Currently i have 3 pair of gbr's all in 20gal longs. (Each pair)
You said your at the tail end of a cycle? Just keep an eye on your nitrates. Good luck. GBR's are AWESOME!!!

I agree with what everyone else has said. Currently i have 3 pair of gbr's all in 20gal longs. (Each pair)
You said your at the tail end of a cycle? Just keep an eye on your nitrates. Good luck. GBR's are AWESOME!!!
Yeah, I gotta do a water change soon. About 20 nitrates. No ammonia or nitrites. What's your pH? I gotta get an idea of what type of water they are in. Also, can anyone answer my last question? About the big bucket?

My ph is rite around 6.6 but test the water your fish are bagged in or better yet see if you can get an accurate test done of their holding tanks water before transport. Reason being any gasses built up during transport may effect your reading. Your aquarium water doesnt have to be a perfect match as long as you acclimate them well but the closer the better.

Rubbermaid bucket?
They should be fairly clean if brand new so I'd use a mild clorox dilution and rinse really well.

Rubbermaid bucket?
They should be fairly clean if brand new so I'd use a mild clorox dilution and rinse really well.
It's been in use for a time, stored school books for a while. I washed it really good with a CLEAN towel. Should I clean it well with some Clorox wipes, then wash it out really good?

Im not sure what all cleaning agents are in the wipes. I'd check. If anything other than bleach then i wouldnt use them.
Better safe than sorry:)

If you want a pair I suggest picking them at the LFS. Find a store that has a good selection of GBR's and sit with them for 5 -10 minutes. Look for a female with a pink belly. Chances are she will be hanging out with a larger male.
There's your pair.

Back
Top Bottom