German blue ram..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can these guys live without being in a pair? I would like to get one for one of my tanks... Here are the options:
20g divided bettas-one very companionable one questionable
55g community-3 juvie angels 1 dwarf honey gourami 11harliquins 11 cories
10g 5 guppies and a ton of shrimp!!

What's everyone's thoughts?

I've had a blue ram living by him/herself for about 4 months. I think he'd be happier in a pair which I plan on doing in the future.

I have one in my 29, he's awesome. I do have schooling black skirt tetras, which I hear brings out the ram's personality (any schooling fish really). He's not territorial at all.

Well I have four neon tetras in with my friendly betta and he loves them. I would just like to get everyone's opinion on where to put him:) would he do better with my friendly betta and the neons or would he do better in my 55 with my harliquins and angels?? All my tanks are heavily planted...

I got him when he was small, he's in a heavily planted 10g right now. I'm in the process of upgrading this tank to a 20 high that I have in the garage. I honestly don't think the 10g is too small for a single blue ram, but I've received a lot of slaps on the wrist here for doing so.

Yeah they can live without pairs but I do think they prefer to have some company of their own kind.

Lol! I hear ya laser!! I was thinking of putting a couple in my 55 but I am at stocking level as it is I think:( i reeaaallly want one though...hummm

What do you have in the 55 now? Do you still have the two angels?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now.

Yeah, you are pushing the 55 with the 3 angels. I wouldn't do it unless you are prepared to move some fish when the angels get bigger.

I am planning to move them within the next year. I have my husband talked in to a 75 or 90g and then I'm going to turn my 55 into a saltwater tank:) they weren't at my lfs store anyways when I got there:( he said he usually only gets a hand full of them a year...sooo I got another dwarf honey and came home and did a lot of plant pruning:)

I wouldn't advise putting a betta and a ram in the same tank unless said tank was huge. The ram will most likely have quite a time nipping and shredding the betta's flowing tail. As for rams, many keep them singly but if your tank is big enough you can keep 2 or more. I have 11 in a 220g heavily planted tank.

They are on hold for now:( I don't want my betta torn up as he is a lovely fella and I don't want to add any more to my 55. When I upgrade my 55 I am def in!!

I have a betta in with 2 GBRs and 2 bolivian rams in a 50 gal. The rams take no notice of the betta. If anything the betta will sometimes chases the GBR rams. Maybe its because of their brighter colour, but he never bothers the bolivians.

Back
Top Bottom