German Blue Rams or Gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a relatively new tank that I am still shaping into a finished product.

It is a 55 gallon low light planted aquarium with:

10 neon tetras
8 priscella tetras
5 serpea tetras
5 scissor tail rasboras
6 cory cats

In a month or two I am going to be adding 5 otos.

I want a "center piece" fish and I am torn between the german rams (My lfs has both blue and gold) and some type of gourami.

I want something that is not going to be too aggressive with the established fish. I am looking to purchase in a few months, I am just looking for advice now so I can focus on what I need to add to my tank to prep for the new fish (more hiding places for rams, or floating plants for gouramis)

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you go with rams wait another month before adding them. I personally would do a pair of pearl gouramis get 1 m and 1 f.

I have both a male and female Dwarf Gourami as well as male and female gold ram. The Gouramis are more colorful but if you can get the rams to pair up they are fun to watch. The Gouramis prefer floating plants while the rams prefer caves to hide in. Either way is a great choice though. Rams are more peaceful though unless the male is protecting his eggs and a pleco tries to eat them

Check out Bolivian rams, too. They are hardier and can withstand errors. They also have striking coloration if you have a male and a female. From what I understand, though, if you just get one or the other you'll just have an ugly old gray fish.

How many Rams would you recommend? I have 2 cave like structures and the plants are currently filling in. I dont want to over crowd the tetras that are already in there. Thats why I was considering the gouramis because I dont have many top level fish.

Was all nervous getting blue rams cause I heard how fragile they are. Bought a pair and couldn't be more happy. Not only are they beautiful but have tons of personality. They never hide in the bottom but are all over the tank. They for some reason like to school with the tiger barbs. They follow me when i am near the tank. Love to be hand fed. As long as you keep up with maintnence they are perfect as a centerpiece.

I would always go with rams

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the Bolivians and a beautiful gold gourami, but have to ask- have you considered rainbows? Maine rainbows are very striking fish. I also like angels.

Im not thrilled with the size of adult rainbows and how many you need to have of them since they are a schooling fish. I am leaning towards gouramis only because my tetras seem very comfortable in the plants, caves, and driftwood and I dont want them to be pushed out by the rams.

Gouramis are great. I love mine, but they can get just as big as rainbows, maybe bigger. LiveAquaria shows a golden gourami maxing out at 6"

That's why you get smaller peaceful species like honey or pearl gourami. Plus he won't need 6 gouramis.

Yah they will get large and more aggressive the opaline, blue and gold gourami all get big like 6 inches. Then kissing gouramis get bigger around the 10-12 inch mark.

Yah they are pretty cool fish I have always liked them.

Does anyone have much experience with dwarf gouramis? I was considering getting a male and three females. My issue with gouramis is just how limited I am by the local availability. I was considering ordering online but cant find female anything other than dwarfs...

I feel like you could swing a male dwarf and 2 females they should stay pretty docile and calm. They only get about 2.5 inches anyway and in a 55 they shouldn't bother a thing with all that space.

Josh7 thanks for all the input. I am either going with 3 dwarf gouramis (1 male and 2 females) or 2 pearl gouramis (I would have to order online and hope for the right 1 male and 1 female mix). Do you think it would be alright to order 2 pearls online and hope for the best? I am currently looking for some floating plants. I cant find water sprite any where so I may order water lettuce. Does one or other work better with gouramis?

Back
Top Bottom