German Blue rams question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
...Now honestly, I think that a 10 gallon is too small for any fish. Im a softy and I believe my fish need as much room as I can give them :)
However, We have an empty 10 gallon that we are thinking about starting up again to just have a few other fishies in that we didnt get a chance to put into our 29 or 36 gallons. Im really drawn to the German blue rams. Both local aquatic stores near me has them.
I was reading up on them and they SEEM like fairly peaceful fish.
Do you think a 10 gallon is too small for them? ANd how many should be kept together?
If not a 10 gallon, are they good with Platys and Neons? I have platys, neons, and headlight tail lights in my 36.

Any info about these guys would be great!!

:dance:
:thanks:

I don't think a 10g is too small for fish... but it's pretty small for rams though. I know people have said it works fine for them, but I jut think a 20 long or bigger would be better for them. I think your 36g would be ok for them though... the 10g would definitely be a good qt tank for them :)

Yeah thats what the 10g originally started out to be. A Qt tank or a fry tank for our Platys. But we moved and have to transport 2 other tanks so we just drained that one and havent bothered to set it back up yet. Yea maybe they can be in the 36 gallon eventually. Theyre definitely pretty fish

Copachick said:
...Now honestly, I think that a 10 gallon is too small for any fish. Im a softy and I believe my fish need as much room as I can give them :)
However, We have an empty 10 gallon that we are thinking about starting up again to just have a few other fishies in that we didnt get a chance to put into our 29 or 36 gallons. Im really drawn to the German blue rams. Both local aquatic stores near me has them.
I was reading up on them and they SEEM like fairly peaceful fish.
Do you think a 10 gallon is too small for them? ANd how many should be kept together?
If not a 10 gallon, are they good with Platys and Neons? I have platys, neons, and headlight tail lights in my 36.

Any info about these guys would be great!!

:dance:
:thanks:

I think a ten gallon is fine for german blue rams, just remember that if you they pair up they will become aggressive. I would also recommend apisto cichlids, but I don't know if they can be in a ten gallon.

I agree with rookie. Some people say 10 gallons is ok, but I personally do not think so. If you did choose to do it, only keep one ram in there.
I also agree that they would be ok your other tank. They are pretty peaceful. Some get moody when spawning, but even then they typically just chase fish out of their area, nothing serious. They don't care abot fish who aren't cichlids and aren't in their space.

i was told a pair needs 20 gal. i have 2 male gbr's in a 45gal. they get along with all the other fish and with each other. they always swim together. i think because there aren't any females to fight over

Fish for a 10 gallon? Betta, emeber tetras, chili rasbora, shell dwelling cichlids, celestial pearl danios, dwarf gourami, sparkling gouramis, neons, Asian stone catfish, pygmy corys, huge variety of shrimp/snails, dwarf puffer, harlequin rasbora, clown killifish, and a bunch of others. Keep in mind, not all the fish I listed are compatable with each other.

I think guppies and ten gallons go hand in hand. Lol. There are so many color combos and things, I have guppies in my tank and made sure each one is different. They have pretty much unlimited color combos. They can be bred to almost whatever is desired. But usually the fancy and rare ones are hard to get.

Back
Top Bottom