German Blue Rams!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep rams and platys together without an issue. Of course, platys and mollies are those peaceful fish that every so often have a real jerk show up in their family. In general, I think it would be fine to keep them however. :) Somebody else may have a different opinon on this, but I would NEVER put skirt tetras in with rams. I have owned them both. Just no. Again, just my experience. :)

Black skirts get too large and active for a 20g tank. They are also very nippy fish. Probably not the best choice. They are very nice fish though. I have some in my planted 70g.

JesseMessykinn said:
IMO If you Doing rams, get a tank and base it around the rams. House them with smaller non-nipping fish.

Spot on, with rams its all about them, the more comfortable they are, the more playful they are, you don't want them hiding all the time. I have mine with a ABN pleco, juli corys, and ghost shrimp. I'm sure I could add a small school of small fish, but you can't beat the rams swimming all over, they are truly centerpiece fish if done right. They have a ton of personality.

Mumma.of.two said:
Black skirts get too large and active for a 20g tank. They are also very nippy fish. Probably not the best choice. They are very nice fish though. I have some in my planted 70g.

Ok moving away from them... What types of Tetras do I have to choose from?

I would be happy just 2 in their own 20g.... Would that make them happy? I read somewhere they are more comfortable with schooling fish to keep them calm, but I would be totally happy with just them.

Okay so I went window shopping and peeked at Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams and looked at Neons and Cardinals.
They don't have any of the smaller Tetras. I'm contemplating when I finally do get the fish I may order online.
I was looking at Petsmart today and asked the girl about the Nitrates and she said they're always kept at 0 ppm.
I'm definitely going to have to look up Drip Acclimation to ensure these guys are going to be okay with my 20 ppm Nitrate levels.
As mentioned before... Before I get the Rams I'll plant the tank and wait till the Nitrates are at 0??
Would it be best to get the Tetras first or Rams first, or get them all at once?

ocminpin said:
Okay so I went window shopping and peeked at Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams and looked at Neons and Cardinals.
They don't have any of the smaller Tetras. I'm contemplating when I finally do get the fish I may order online.
I was looking at Petsmart today and asked the girl about the Nitrates and she said they're always kept at 0 ppm.
I'm definitely going to have to look up Drip Acclimation to ensure these guys are going to be okay with my 20 ppm Nitrate levels.
As mentioned before... Before I get the Rams I'll plant the tank and wait till the Nitrates are at 0??
Would it be best to get the Tetras first or Rams first, or get them all at once?

I'd say tetras first then rams. That way the tetras will be accustomed to the tank and all the hidey holes if needed before the rams come along and claim their territory.
Definitely do a slow drip acclimatization, over an hour or so. They are sensitive to nitrates.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
What tank is all of these fish going in?

A school of 6 or 8 tetras and 2 Rams... Want to put in my 20g L once it's revamped and planted with Driftwood, Caves, Rocks... Will be my first planted tank and won't get them until my nitrates are under control and under 20

Mumma.of.two said:
I'd say tetras first then rams. That way the tetras will be accustomed to the tank and all the hidey holes if needed before the rams come along and claim their territory.
Definitely do a slow drip acclimatization, over an hour or so. They are sensitive to nitrates.

How long once the tank is planted will nitrates be able to go from 20 to 0?

ocminpin said:
How long once the tank is planted will nitrates be able to go from 20 to 0?

I don't think they will make it as low as 0. My 70g (pics and stock list in my profile) sits at 5ppm and my tap water is 0. I'm thinking if you can get it to stay around the 20ppm mark you'll be doing good.

Mumma.of.two said:
I don't think they will make it as low as 0. My 70g (pics and stock list in my profile) sits at 5ppm and my tap water is 0. I'm thinking if you can get it to stay around the 20ppm mark you'll be doing good.

We'll see today when I get home and do my PWC in all 3 tanks and test,..

20 PPM seems high for rams, IMHO. I keep my tank below 5 and have lost a pair of GBRs for no apparent reason.

With that said, I have a pair of Electric Blue Rams that are doing great, so it may have just been weak stock.

h2oskierc said:
20 PPM seems high for rams, IMHO. I keep my tank below 5 and have lost a pair of GBRs for no apparent reason.

With that said, I have a pair of Electric Blue Rams that are doing great, so it may have just been weak stock.

Yes it is but the OP has 20ppm from the tap so I can't see it getting much lower than that unless the tank is crazily heavy planted.

Yeah, even heavily tanks do not necessarily reach 0 nitrates. I still recommend planting it.
BTW, you do not need tetras in there if you don't necessarily want them. I have read that same info in various places about rams being shy and not really venturing out unless there are other fish, but I have found that to be total crap. It up to you though. If you like some tetras and want a small school of them in there too, thats fine. If you don't really want them, thats fine too. I do hope you can find some good stock so they can make the transition into your water. :)

Back
Top Bottom