German Blue Ram's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanilla Magilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been researching the German Blue Ram and most all I have read states that it is a good community fish. The only problem that I am finding is if it is good to get two. I can't find it anywhere unless it is about breeding. I don't want to breed, but they are Cichlid's, so i am concerned about territorial issues.
I have an 18 gallon Tall
4 Neon Tetras (most I read said the Rams like the tetra's as look outs)
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Clown Loaches
Any one have luck with 2 Rams in one tank with other fish?

I would definitely get two even if you don't want to breed. At least then they will keep each other company and not annoy the other fish. They are always recommended to purchase in pairs.

BTW, you can tell the males from the females easily. The males have a higher and pointer dorsal fin than the females do.

How's it goin? Just bought a pair last week. THEY ARE AWESOME...
VERY good community fish. I have every community fish under the sun and they are peaceful and extremely colorful. I have a heavily planted tank and they don't touch the plants either. I wish I would've known about these guys before. I plan on getting more(not overcrowding of course). My tank is 75 gal, pH 7.0, planted, 250 watts, and stocked with community fish.
I'll have pics soon...
Bondstreet

You guys might want to make sure you can get the smallest ones you can find. The reason being is that the smallest Blue Rams are also the youngest. Blue Rams only seem to live about 1 or 2 years. Very short when compared to other types of fish.

Perhaps this is why they reach sexual maturity at only a few months old.

The ones they got at my LFS are really small, so cute!!! I fell inlove with them once I saw them! 1-2yrs, that is pretty short...

ashley

None of the LFS carry them so I had to order them from a shop. If they are to big I may not take them and keep looking, but this shop had done good with me a couple of times so I am not worried.

Back
Top Bottom