German Ram Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amazonian13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, recently I was looking at some German / Bolivan Ram Cichlids because I was told they are some of the more "peaceful" cichlid breeds and that they can do well in a community environment, i.e more importantly will not eat everyone else. The only current cichlid I have in there now is a 3 inch Firemouth and my smallest fish are cobra guppies (which I have been told as the firemouth grows he may he eat them but for over 3 months he has not bothered them one bit so far) but was wondering how you think a ram would fit in or if anyone has any experience with them I love the unique colors like a pastel painting almost. Thanks a ton

Full Specs: Planted 55 Gallon

Upside Down Catfish Firemouth Cichlid
Ghost Knife Fish
Ghost Catfish
Bala Shark
Blue Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Rainbow Tail Shark
Red Swordtail
Long-Fin Trinidad Plecostomus
Sunburst Platy
Lohacata Botia Loach
Tiger Barb False Julii Cory Cat
2 Emerald Green Cory Cats
5 Cobra Guppies
Lyre Tail Guppy

DoratheExplorer said:
Hello, recently I was looking at some German / Bolivan Ram Cichlids because I was told they are some of the more "peaceful" cichlid breeds and that they can do well in a community environment, i.e more importantly will not eat everyone else. The only current cichlid I have in there now is a 3 inch Firemouth and my smallest fish are cobra guppies (which I have been told as the firemouth grows he may he eat them but for over 3 months he has not bothered them one bit so far) but was wondering how you think a ram would fit in or if anyone has any experience with them I love the unique colors like a pastel painting almost. Thanks a ton

Upside Down Catfish Firemouth Cichlid
Ghost Knife Fish
Ghost Catfish
Bala Shark
Blue Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Rainbow Tail Shark
Red Swordtail
Long-Fin Trinidad Plecostomus
Sunburst Platy
Lohacata Botia Loach
Tiger Barb False Julii Cory Cat
2 Emerald Green Cory Cats
5 Cobra Guppies
Lyre Tail Guppy

A ram would work with some of your fish BUT unfortunately your tank is quite over stocked and not all your fish are going to be able to coexist when they reach maturity. So, no you can not add a ram I'm sorry.

I'm not a pro by any means but looking at your list of fish you already have some red flags went off for me. In my opinion you have too many fish already living in a 55. I hate to say it but I have a feeling if you don't move some of your fish out of there before they mature you're not going to have them long. I wouldn't add anymore at all. I'd be looking at setting up a much larger tank (the balas in mind) and start moving some out.

I have always planned to upgrade the Firemouth, Bala, and Ghost Knife as they grow to a bigger home, especially because the Bala is already well over 6 inches. Main problem was I inherited the large majority of fish from a friend who works in the tour industry and he was no longer able to take care of them. Previously he had about 3/4 of this fish in a 30 gallon, but after I received them from him I wanted to add my own so I upgraded the tank. I know from what I have read, heard, and witnessed in the tank that the larger fish will need to be relocated to their own bigger tank, but being a novice owner (only had it about 7 months now) please tell; it really is legitimate that you cannot have about 15 small fish in a 55 gallon? I was told approximately 1 inch per gallon and most of these reach about 3 inches max. Completely honest I don't see how these especially the schoolers need that much space when all have carved out their own territories and seem to more or less respect them. Obviously not looking for a lecture, but some good information like how this triggers stress etc. would be much appreciated as I will admit I am new to the field and want to make sure my fishes that I now love dearly thrive. Thanks a lot for the advice to a newcomer.

DoratheExplorer said:
I have always planned to upgrade the Firemouth, Bala, and Ghost Knife as they grow to a bigger home, especially because the Bala is already well over 6 inches. Main problem was I inherited the large majority of fish from a friend who works in the tour industry and he was no longer able to take care of them. Previously he had about 3/4 of this fish in a 30 gallon, but after I received them from him I wanted to add my own so I upgraded the tank. I know from what I have read, heard, and witnessed in the tank that the larger fish will need to be relocated to their own bigger tank, but being a novice owner (only had it about 7 months now) please tell; it really is legitimate that you cannot have about 15 small fish in a 55 gallon? I was told approximately 1 inch per gallon and most of these reach about 3 inches max. Completely honest I don't see how these especially the schoolers need that much space when all have carved out their own territories and seem to more or less respect them. Obviously not looking for a lecture, but some good information like how this triggers stress etc. would be much appreciated as I will admit I am new to the field and want to make sure my fishes that I now love dearly thrive. Thanks a lot for the advice to a newcomer.

The one inch per gallon rule refuses to die. It's not very accurate. What you need to look at when stocking a tank is:
Full-grown size of the fish.
Aggression levels.
Swimming space.
Compatibility with tank mates.
Nitrate levels between water changes.
Some of your fish are simply not compatible with the others. Some are going to out grow the tank (it happens faster than you think).
The best thing for you to do now is to rehome some or buy a second much larger tank to accommodate some of them. The last thing you want to do is add more fish to a potentially disastrous mix.

Anyway you could enlighten me to the big red flags or clashes you see compatibility wise? Those dam charts never seem to have my species on it. Just asking because these guys have all been together now about 4 months and I live in front of their tank and never see any major fighting besides the gourami which always chases the dwarf gourami i assumed was breeding related in nature because one is male other female. Would appreciate any info

DoratheExplorer said:
Anyway you could enlighten me to the big red flags or clashes you see compatibility wise? Those dam charts never seem to have my species on it. Just asking because these guys have all been together now about 4 months and I live in front of their tank and never see any major fighting besides the gourami which always chases the dwarf gourami i assumed was breeding related in nature because one is male other female. Would appreciate any info

This is what jumps out at me.
Upside Down Catfish - no experience, sorry.
Firemouth Cichlid - can and will eat your smaller fish. Will become territorial when reaches maturity.
Ghost Knife Fish - needs a huge tank And live food (75g?)
Ghost Catfish - I'm assuming this is a glass cat? Needs schools of it's own kind 6 or more. Have been know to die of loneliness.
Bala Shark - gets huge and needs a school of 6+, needs a tank 125g+
Blue Gourami - can fight/bully/kill dwarf gourami
Dwarf Gourami - have been known to get bullied to death by other gouramis.
Rainbow Tail Shark - 55g is good but it can get aggressive as it matures.
Red Swordtail - perfect for 55g
Long-Fin Trinidad Plecostomus - gets huge, too big for a 55g
Sunburst Platy - perfect for 55g
Lohacata Botia Loach - loaches need schools of their own kind. Not sure on the size this fish will reach but some kinds can get quite large.
Tiger Barb - needs school of it's own kind. Can nip, fight and cause damage to other fish.
False Julii Cory Cat - needs school of it's own kind 6+
2 Emerald Green Cory Cats - needs school of it's own kind 6+
5 Cobra Guppies - will get eaten by firemouth.
Lyre Tail Guppy - ditto.

The reason why they seem to coexist at the moment is because most fish sold are juveniles and their true personalities don't come out until they mature.

So all, (first thanks for the quick responses again) I have recieved a 75 gallon tank from my buddy free of charge (thankfully :)) and as of now was planning to split them the following for now:

75: Bala Shark, Ghost Knife, Gourami, Firemouth, Pleco & Upside Down Catfish

55: Dwarf Gourami, Cobra Guppies + Lyre, Swordtail, Loach, Platy, Glass Cat, Rainbow Shark (still only about 2 inches), Tiger Barb, 3 Cory Cats

Is this a lot better for now? Know the Bala will never be truly happy unless he has a massive one, but can I equivalent this to a gerbil would be much happier free in the wild than in a deluxe play pen? All feedback welcome thanks all

Hi there,

I wouldn't add a ram or any other fish to that tank. What is your concentration of ammonia, nitrites, and especially nitrates and your water change schedule?
Also, I don't know if you wanted this, but I could do a stock breakdown for you:

Upside Down Catfish-It should be fine in there.
Firemouth Cichlid-Can be aggressive. Quite a possibility it may eat your guppies. It should be okay in there.
Ghost Knife Fish-NOT OKAY. Grows 20 inches, I suggest minimum of 120 Gallons. Will also eat small fish, your cories and tiger barbs and guppies are at risk.
Ghost Catfish-How many? They should be in a minimum school of six, they are sensitive, shy, and more of them will make them feel more secure.
Bala Shark-Grows about 1 foot long. It should be kept in a school of six minimum because it is skittish and I would only put them in a 180 Gallon.
Blue Gourami-Should be fine. Watch out for aggression.
Dwarf Gourami-Should be fine. Watch out for aggression, but it should be minimal with all those other big fish in there.
Rainbow Tail Shark-This is iffy. IMO it can fit in your 55 Gallon, but others will disagree with me there. However it can and will be AGRESSIVE to your fish, so be careful.
Red Swordtail-Should be fine.
Long-Fin Trinidad Plecostomus-AKA common pleco. Grows 2 feet long and needs a 120 G minimum as well along with proper filtration and tank maintenance.
Sunburst Platy-Should be fine in that size tank.
Lohacata Botia Loach-Don't know about that, sorry :(
Tiger Barb-Be careful. How big of a school do you have it in? They are aggressive if you don't keep enough and will nip at your gourami's long fins.
False Julii Cory Cat-How many do you have? I would keep a minimum of six together.
2 Emerald Green Cory Cats-These bad boys grow five inches max and need a school of six minimum.
5 Cobra Guppies-Careful, they breed like rabbits!
Lyre Tail Guppy

My opinions in the bold red above. Hope that helped! :)

DoratheExplorer said:
So all, (first thanks for the quick responses again) I have recieved a 75 gallon tank from my buddy free of charge (thankfully :)) and as of now was planning to split them the following for now:

55: Dwarf Gourami, Cobra Guppies + Lyre, Swordtail, Loach, Platy, Glass Cat, Rainbow Shark (still only about 2 inches), Tiger Barb, 3 Cory Cats

Is this a lot better for now? Know the Bala will never be truly happy unless he has a massive one, but can I equivalent this to a gerbil would be much happier free in the wild than in a deluxe play pen? All feedback welcome thanks all

Much better! Some will still need to be rehomed in the near future though. The ghost knife, pleco and Bala will outgrow the 75g

I would try to make the 75 an agressive tank and the 55 a somewhat community tank. Move the rainbow shark and tiger barb to the 75 and move the blue gourami back to the 55. I still vote you rehome the ghost knife, bala shark, and pleco or try to give them back/donate them to the LFS.

Oh and maybe the loach (depending on it's size) and the barbs (because they will/can tear your guppies to shreds). You also need to look into school sizes for the remaining fish.

Thanks to you both, the fish by fish breakdown means a lot to me. Two remaining main questions, one about the ghostknife; I'd talk to a few people about them and they all told me that they dont eat live if you raise them on mysis shrimp and bloodworms which is what he eats, but I completely understand if this was the "store" answer. Mainly though he said not that he wouldn't eat live but that he probably wouldnt attack others. Also, the schooling; I have heard that the fish are happiest with others but is this kind of equal to someone with brothers and sisters is happier than an only child? Or with school fish is it just something genetic, instinctal where they literally cannot function properly without them? Just asking mainly because I have a glass catfish and I knew they were supposed to be schooling when I got him but as you saw I had limited space and he was just so cool I could not pass him up. Anyway that was over 4-5 months ago and he eats great swims all around at night and all day stays in this one little opening of a rock I have that is his main territory that he always hangs out. Just unusual for species or still he probably is miserable all the time? I'm just trying to more understand the nature of the beast if you will....

If your ghost knife eats for you that's great! The reason why people say they only eat live is because they are all wild caught and can be very picky and hard to keep alive in the beginning.

DoratheExplorer said:
.......school fish is it just something genetic, instinctal where they literally cannot function properly without them....

You got it right there. ^^^
It is engrained into them, they feel safer and more secure when in a school. They could live by themselves but would never be fully comfortable and might not live to their full life span.

Mumma.of.two said:
If your ghost knife eats for you that's great! The reason why people say they only eat live is because they are all wild caught and can be very picky and hard to keep alive in the beginning.

You got it right there. ^^^
It is engrained into them, they feel safer and more secure when in a school. They could live by themselves but would never be fully comfortable and might not live to their full life span.

Just wanted to add that I catch my bgk rooting around after the lights go off, so that nocturnal behavior might be a factor also.

Back
Top Bottom