German ram tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all! I think I have made my mind up and wil be getting 2 German blue rams instead of a ram and an apisto. Reason being I would like to have happier fish an would like to see them possibablly spawn. I also have been browsing the fourm and love the blue rams. Also, my lfs doesn't have any double red apistos which were my favorite So any ways. They will be in a 37 gallon tank with
1 angelfish(f)
2 pearl gouramis(1 m 1 f)
2 German blue rams(1 m 1 f)
6 rumynosed tetras
6 Cory catfish
1 bushy nose pleco
6 other schoolers(preferablly top dwelling, suggustions?)

So I also was thinking about shrimp, will any be able to live in this tank? Thanks

Finally, I will also be using this to keep track of my fishless cycle.
Day 15
Ammonia--.25ppm(dosed to 4)
Nitrites-2ppm
Nitrates-80
P.h.-7.2

Attachments

• image-3833857059.jpg
    image-3833857059.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 257
I've heard bad things about gourami and angels together, especially since you don't have much to block their line of sight. Also rams, angels, and gourami will all pick on shrimp if they're bite size. Maybe bamboo shrimp. Something to think about too is how stocked you'll be, your gourami will both be about 5", angel will be around 5-6" in length and have a lot of body, and your pleco will have a larger bioload then it's body size. Rams gourami and angels are all fairly aggressive when it comes to mating and territory, just make sure you're giving them the proper amount of space they need/deserve.

So if I ditched the angel or gouramis I'd be ok? I also was thinking about ditching the angel before but was just making sure it would or wouldn't work. So if I didn't do the angel could I do
2 gbr's
2 pearl gouramis
6 panda Cory's
6 rumy nose
6 skirt tetras
3 fancy guppies
1 swordtail
? I love the swordtail, and If it doesn't work I guess I could live with it.
Also, would I have a chance at the ram fry living? If I bought a breede box?

So if I ditched the angel or gouramis I'd be ok? I also was thinking about ditching the angel before but was just making sure it would or wouldn't work. So if I didn't do the angel could I do
2 gbr's
2 pearl gouramis
6 panda Cory's
6 rumy nose
6 skirt tetras
3 fancy guppies
1 swordtail
? I love the swordtail, and If it doesn't work I guess I could live with it.
Also, would I have a chance at the ram fry living? If I bought a breede box?

If it were me I would have traded the gouramis instead. And might want to lose the black/white skirt tetras, I've heard they're nippy. I would do
1angel
6 pandas
8 rummy nose
3 guppys(though angels and gourami could both eat them if they wanted to)
A male swordtail
And rams if you wanted to, but you need to wait a good while because they are really sensitive fish

But that's just me, I haven't had first hand experience with gourami or skirt tetras so this is my opinion rather than a strong suggestion, someone experienced with the the two fish will have to chime in for sure

I would suggest waiting on the rams as well. I hear thy are super sensitive and need a well established tank. Maybe consider Boliviam Rams. I want GBRs but my water is pretty much opposite of what they need, so I decided to go with a bolivian. His colors are starting to really show, and I am quite happy with him.
Also, if you get an angel and gouramis, maybe get juvenile ones. I have a veil tail angel and a dwarf gourami that are the best of friends. Honestly, if I didnt know better, I would think they were a pair. They are always together. It cracks me up because I was so worried about how they would be together in the same tank, but I guess I got really lucky with easy-goers.

Several years ago I had an amazing FOWLER tank with docile community fish, tangs, butterfly, clowns.....and 1 huge dog-faced puffer. He was the most well behaved of the bunch! You just never know what you are gonna get!
Sounds like a fun tank, and I like your decor. Nice driftwood.

I too would skip the black skirts and just add to your rummynose count. Rummynose can be pretty timid in small numbers, so I'd shoot for at least 9 or so.

So maybe

2 German rams
1 angel or 2 pearl gouramis
6 panda Cory's
5 guppies
10 rumynose tetras
1 bn pleco 1 male swordtail
Is the angel or gouramis better in this? Which is better in community and causes less problems? I'm still not sure which I like best in Those two. Also, am I fully stocked at that?

I've said this before but male swords get big and carry as high a bio-load as the pleco if not more since I've seen male swords 5". Plus you will be pushing it with a pair of pearl gouramis, one would be much safer as far as possible aggression issues. IMO if you go with:

1 angel or 1 gourami
6 panda's
5 male guppy's to add the most color and not getting overrun with fry
10 rummynose
1 bnp
2 GBR's

A word of caution... most rummynose are wild caught and are every bit as sensitive to water quality as GBR's. Both of these species should be added at least 4 months after the tank has been set up.

This would also be a fully stocked level.

Thanks. I've hear from many others that pearl gouramis are the only gouramis that do well in pairs. But if nnot ill do 1.

From the pic's I've seen of your tank it appears to be a tall tank and not a long tank. A pair of pearls if they decide to spawn could play serious heck with the guppy's who tend to stay higher in the tank. It's your choice but unless a very large tank is involved I tend to err on the side of caution.

So maybe

2 German rams
1 angel or 2 pearl gouramis
6 panda Cory's
5 guppies
10 rumynose tetras
1 bn pleco 1 male swordtail
Is the angel or gouramis better in this? Which is better in community and causes less problems? I'm still not sure which I like best in Those two. Also, am I fully stocked at that?

An adult angel is quite capable of eating adult guppies. If that's not a problem for you then cool, but I just wanted you to be aware of that. I've had an angel eat a cory, even. The rummynose might be eventual targets as well. ;)

A pearl gourami is almost certainly going to be less aggressive than an angelfish (at least, an adult angelfish). That said, either an angel or a gourami (or pair) make fine tank mates for rams.

I've said this before but male swords get big and carry as high a bio-load as the pleco if not more since I've seen male swords 5". Plus you will be pushing it with a pair of pearl gouramis, one would be much safer as far as possible aggression issues. IMO if you go with:

1 angel or 1 gourami
6 panda's
5 male guppy's to add the most color and not getting overrun with fry
10 rummynose
1 bnp
2 GBR's

A word of caution... most rummynose are wild caught and are every bit as sensitive to water quality as GBR's. Both of these species should be added at least 4 months after the tank has been set up.

This would also be a fully stocked level.

I agree- most people seriously underestimate the adult size of a swordtail.

I also agree with the rummynose comment, and if I can add to that.... NEVER buy them on the same day the store gets their fish (good rule of thumb in general, IMO). I have seen more rummynose come in looking fine and then just crash overnight than probably any other species I've worked with.

Thank you all. I recieved my cichlid stones to day, a 3 pack with 2 medium and a small. Odd because I ordered a 2 pack, but I'll take the free stone! Anyways. For stock, I can do no swordtail. And as for the gourami/ angel, if I is 1 pearl would he be ok? I just don't want a lonely fish! I'll decide in angel or gourami when I need to, but as for stock, i think I'm set on-
2 German blue rams
10 rumynose tetras
5 male guppies
6 panda Cory's
1 bristle nose pleco
1 gourami- or angel
So with that I think I'll plan that! So for stocking order, can I add at the 1st trip after cycle-6 panda Cory's and 5 guppies
Second trip rumynose
Third trip rams
Fourth pleco and gourami/angel
I also don't want the guppies eaten, so if I'd be better off without the angel in ight with it

Attachments

• image-2715714347.jpg
    image-2715714347.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 283
Your asking for trouble if you don't wait a few months for the tank to mature before adding the GBR's. They do not fare well in a new tank.

So Mabye gbr 3 months after? What plants(live) an where do you think I should get?

At least 3 months, Bolivians might be okay at 3 months if everything is stable, GBRs being more sensitive its suggested to wait at least 6. And adding more guppys wasn't the way to go IMO, they're really messy fish. Gourami will eat guppys too, they are about the same as angels. You took out a couple things in your over stocked list, which was good, but you added extra to the smaller messy fish so I don't actually think you've made much difference.

So back to 3 guppies and 8 rumynose tetras. I've heard that if the angel/ gouram grows up with the small fish they will not eat them? If not, is a dwarf gourami better here?

Pearl Gourami

I would recommend one male Pearl Gourami.

Pick one which is NOT the leader of the pack, but a second or third one back, hopefully less aggressive. I had a bad tempered killer one. The one I have now is precious. One of my favorite fish is this beautiful fish! Need good amount of plants for them to feel comfortable.

Guppies and Harlequin Rasboras tend to stay in the top half of the tank, Guppies top third.

So back to 3 guppies and 8 rumynose tetras. I've heard that if the angel/ gouram grows up with the small fish they will not eat them? If not, is a dwarf gourami better here?

Angels and gourami are both semi aggressive so there's always a chance you can get a super mean one. Growing up with small fish increases the chance they'd be okay with them but its not a sure thing.a DG would be better in my opinion here, it would also help with your stocking levels and weekly tank maintenance might be easier

Edit: you can do the pearl gourami, I didn't mean to say you couldn't, but you have to be aware that some of your smaller fish may look like snacks eventually

So is having 1 angel or 2 pearls out of question? How big do pearls get, 5 in.? How much bioload difference is there between pearl and dwarf

Yeah, sry but I really think you need to drop the angel idea. It's just going to cause you stress and money. Groms, maybe one. Here's the thing. Well, what I think is happening. Pls tell me if I'm wrong! It seems you are trying to put three showpiece fish in the same tank. ;-) which you could probable do if it was say.....a 90g but it would still be iffy at best.

It sucks I know but you have to pick one. Angels, grom or ram. Then roll with it! I will tell you that if it's rams. Your going to have to stay on top of your nitrates big time with the stock your planning. Plus, if the rams do spawn. It's going to be open game on any fish that get anywhere near their spawn site.

Back
Top Bottom