German Rams and Bolivian Rams together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on what you are going for.. If you wait and see how the things go with your existing ram and it doesn't last long you could at that time go for a pair of bolivians. Since their tankmates would be the pleco and the rainbows, if you end up with a breeding pair you should be able to still have harmony in the the tank. From there, as long as you had the breeding pair in the tank, you would have to stock around them. Basically this just means if you wanted to change things up you'd need to make sure to pick new fish that wouldn't get in their way because you don't want to mess with breeding cichlids.

I would not mix two rams of the same species with another species in a tank this size, so if you want to add a bolivian while the german is still around I would only add one. You could always add another later. Even in a larger space the bolivians could pair up and bully the german. They are more likely to just keep to themselves if you have one of each.

You can disagree thats fine. I am just giving my opinion. Im sure it could work, and has worked many times. I have only done it twice, and both times it ended with 1 Ram being bullied to death. Maybe it is working because the m/f ratio.

I'm honestly not disagreeing. What I meant is just as you say, what works for some might not work for others. Cichlids are temperamental, you just don't know what can happen till you put them together, for all I know there might be a war in my tank someday!
The Bolivians are definitely a cool fish to watch with their jerky, sort of curious behavior and not shy at all, at least mine.
This is my first try at rams, mostly I have kept angels and you can get one angel that terrorizes the whole tank, I finally have three that co-exist with each other peacefully, took me a while though.

Do any of you have experience with gold veil rams or how their hardiness compares to Bolivians and GBRs?

I have not, but I would assume more like the blue then the Bolivian. The more selective breeding the weaker the final product. At least thats what I think, I might be wrong.

German gold rams and german blue rams are different color variations of the same species (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) as is the electric blue ram. My experiences with the GGR has been the same as the GBR. I have not tried the EBR because they typically cost atleast three times as much and I have heard they are the most difficult. Bolivian rams are a different species (Mikrogeophagus altispinosa).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom