German rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
So Ive got my 64litre tank, with 15 or so RCS, 3 adult otocinclus (3-4 known baby oto's) to be honest I was going to leave it like this and make it a shrimp tank, but to be blunt with the amount of shrimp in at the moment I barely see them and theyre so little.

Once the baby otos have grown on and arent edible sized, Would I be able to put a few 3-4 german rams in the tank, I researched it, and apparently the tank size should be ok for them, but I still wanted to come here and check.

Also water here is hard, last time I checked it was
KH - 232.7ppm (13x17.9)
GH - 340.1ppm (19x17.9)
Giving me a total hardness of 572.8ppm

So I know Im not idea for rams as I know they need soft water. My question is should I use chemicals to lower the hardness, or start buying RO water from LFS and gradually add RO water every water change until my tank is RO.
If I do go RO do I need to do anything to the water? Ive heard people mention re mineralizing etc.

I would put no more than a pair. They will adjust to the water if you acclimate them well. Trying to adjust generally makes things worse. They like very clean, warm water.

With a pair could I add a few community fish as well or just the 2 rams added?

That tanks a bit small for rams. 76 liters is really the bare minimum IMO. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Excluding the lid, its
15inch tall
24 inch long
13 and a bit for the depth

I have Rams in my community tank(55gal soon to be 75gal). They are with a school of Tiger Barbs, Clown Loaches, Blood Fin Tetras, some Cory Cats, SAE's and a RTS.

The school of Barbs follow the bigger Ram around :confused: They don't nip, but seem to see the Ram as their leader :lol: I've actually yet to see a Barb nip another fish...Poor guys get a bad rap.

The Rams need their hiding places, but mine are generally front and center most of the time. Nothing bothers the Rams and the Rams don't bother anyone else. They are beautiful fish and seem to always be looking at you :fish2:

Mine are generally front and center as well. Attention hogs. lol

In the case of your 20 gal I think something that schools a bit higher up than where the rams hang out would help fill out the tank nicely. I had a ram in a tank that size with glowlight tetras and the top half of the tank was always completely empty..which I did not like. I do believe the rams will eventually eat your shrimp by the way.

Not even eventually, unfortunately. I think they'll eat them all one by one till they are all gone.

I've tried it a few times with cherry shrimp and electric blues and gold rams, the ones they can't eat outright they peck to death.

If I manage to get the rams, maybe I'll try some amano shrimp too since theyre bigger than rcs

Back
Top Bottom