Get nitrates down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msaeger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my 29 gallon aquarium it has been going for two weeks. It is the aqueon led delux kit.

attachment.php

I have 6 mollies in there with some live plants.

When I test the water using the API master test kit my ammonia and nitrites are good but nitrates are high. I have been changing about 25% of the water everyday but the nitrates are staying high. Tonight I tested then changed 25% of the water and tested again. I saw the nitrates go down some but it was still high.

After changing the water I have been adding the recommended amount of Prime.

Is there something I should be doing to get the nitrates lower or do I just need to keep waiting? Should I keep doing the water changes or is that making the process take longer?

Any advice would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_20170403_200613500.jpg
    IMG_20170403_200613500.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 516
What is high?

Have you tested your water source?

Even if you treat the water the tests will still show its presence.

I did test the water source tonight and it was yellow or 0 ppm.

Before the water change it was orange to red 40 ppm to 80 ppm after it was 20 ppm to 40 ppm.

The % of water changed is the % you reduce the nitrate..
So if you have 40 ppm nitrate and you only change 25% you will have aprox. 30ppm when you are done.
Many do 50% for easy math and good maintenance habit.

My nitrates run about 40 all the time. I think most of the people on here who fertilize planted tanks run a tab bit higher.

But your tanks is new??? Overfeeding?

Where did you get your rock decoration out of curiosity? I would like something similar

The % of water changed is the % you reduce the nitrate..
So if you have 40 ppm nitrate and you only change 25% you will have aprox. 30ppm when you are done.
Many do 50% for easy math and good maintenance habit.

That makes sense I will see where it is tomorrow and maybe change more if it has gone back up.

My nitrates run about 40 all the time. I think most of the people on here who fertilize planted tanks run a tab bit higher.

But your tanks is new??? Overfeeding?

Do I need to be worrying about it then? I was expecting it to go down at some point when the cycle was going good. Not sure if I am over feeding I have been feeding a pinch twice a day.

I wouldn't let it go too much. If you can't tell if it's 40-80 because the color is so close on the chart... change 50% of the water. Vacuum well.

What kind of substrate do you have?

Here is my 29 gallon aquarium it has been going for two weeks. It is the aqueon led delux kit.

attachment.php

I have 6 mollies in there with some live plants.

When I test the water using the API master test kit my ammonia and nitrites are good but nitrates are high. I have been changing about 25% of the water everyday but the nitrates are staying high. Tonight I tested then changed 25% of the water and tested again. I saw the nitrates go down some but it was still high.

After changing the water I have been adding the recommended amount of Prime.

Is there something I should be doing to get the nitrates lower or do I just need to keep waiting? Should I keep doing the water changes or is that making the process take longer?

Any advice would be great!
Have you tried Nitazorb?

I wouldn't let it go too much. If you can't tell if it's 40-80 because the color is so close on the chart... change 50% of the water. Vacuum well.

What kind of substrate do you have?

I used 20 lbs of the eco complete mixed with 15 pounds of gravel.

Here is what my test looked Ike today. Looks like less nitrates than yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_20170406_195332388.jpg
    IMG_20170406_195332388.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 58
Here is today's test. I did not change water or add anything yesterday or today and it looks like the nitrates are going down.

I am going to keep testing every day but what should I expect to see happen? Will I see nitrates go back up and the I need to change water?

Attachments

• IMG_20170407_190559956.jpg
    IMG_20170407_190559956.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Nitrates will not be reduced through mechanical or bio filtration. It is the end result of the bio filter, and must be controlled by you. Nitrates can go up quicker from that bacteria having an abundance of food. That can be fish waste, uneaten food, dirty gravel..... The best way to regulate Nitrates is to keep your gravel clean, do not overfeed your fish, and and do partial water changes regularly.

Here is the one for today. Looks like 0, 0, 0. The plants must be consuming the nitrates.

How long can I wait before testing again? Do I wait to change water until I see nitrates go up or do I just change it once a week anyway? Is there a reason to change it besides high ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates?

Attachments

• IMG_20170408_184457326.jpg
    IMG_20170408_184457326.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 50
Here is the one for today. Looks like 0, 0, 0. The plants must be consuming the nitrates.

How long can I wait before testing again? Do I wait to change water until I see nitrates go up or do I just change it once a week anyway? Is there a reason to change it besides high ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates?

I wouldn't do a large water change with those numbers. I'd probably delay it and not make unnecessary work.

I wouldn't do a large water change with those numbers. I'd probably delay it and not make unnecessary work.

I guess I am trying to find out when do I change it? I was changing everyday because the nitrates were really high but I haven't for the last two days because I have been seeing the nitrates go down. If I check it again in a week and it is still the same do I change anyway or keep waiting for some levels to go up?

Back
Top Bottom