getting a betta?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denny1985

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone i was thinking about getting a male and female betta for my 4ft tank i have a rfs and plec,apple snail and mollies,guppies and blue cosby gouramis do you think they would be ok together?

No.

Even the breeders don't keep males and females together--they are rough when they breed, and the male will probably hound the female. It's been done at least once, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. With a 4 ft tank, you may be fine with one. They may go after your guppies, though.

ok thanks:) can i get a male and that would be ok without the female?i heard the female betta will eat the fry will the male betta do the same and attack my other fish?

Eat what fry? If you're talking about guppy fry, probably, as will all your other fish. If you're talking betta fry, you won't have any with just a male. :D And yes, a male betta will be perfectly happy without a female.

It's hit and miss with bettas of either gender whether they'll attack other fish (or get attacked--guppies aren't always as sweet as people think *lol*). In a larger tank, the risk decreases so long as you're not overstocked. Be prepared to rehome him to another tank if he or someone else turns out to be a nasty begger.

Are your gouramis paired off? If they are, they may be an issue for the betta, as gouramis can aggressive when spawning.

My 3xblue cosby gouramis are all female would that be a problem if I got a male betta and I know all fish eat fry and that a male betta couldn't have fry without a female that is stating the obvious I just wanted to know if it would be ok in a community tank wits livebearers if I can't have a male and female betta

Sorry--I wasn't poking fun at you, I promise. With all females, you should be good on that account. It'll just depend on the betta's temperment then. Good luck. ^_^

Just be aware that the betta may not play nicely with the gouramis. It is not usually suggested to keep labyrinth breathers together regardless of the gender. Females can be nasty too. That is a decently sized tank, so it may work. Just keep an eye on it. I suggest you have a back-up plan if you try it out though in case it doesn't work.

I have a spare tank set up incase it doesn't work to accommodate the betta I will have a look on Monday and Tuesday and pick which one and will put some pics up:)thanks everyone for ur help and feedback this site is the best:)

Back
Top Bottom