Getting a LED light for tank... too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 4 foot tank, no plants.
I found a beamswork led light, v4 model, which has 50 watts of power.

Is that too strong for a non planted tank? I dont want algae growth every where. Or my cichlids eyes hurting from light being too bright.

I can find another beamswork v2 model which is only 20 watts. Would this suit better?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hoping someone who knows a bit about aquarium led lights would be able to help.
Thanks.

It shouldn't be too bright for the fish...and as far as the algae, just make sure to only run the light 6-8 hours per day.

I don't see it being too bright for the fish. Agree with the above poster with 6-8 hour a day. The other thing to remember is that if you have a light that's less powerful currently on for 8 hours a day, it does not mean you can put this new powerful light on for 8 hours a day. It will cause algae blooms.

I recomend using the 4 hours on 4 hours off 4 hours on method. I continuously recomend this to people because I use it on all of my tanks and have never had an issue, and have not heard of anyone else having issues with it. If you don't want to do this, I would still recomend decreasing the light to 4 hours a day and increment up to 8 hours over a period of time. This will help prevent algae blooms

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks guys.
I think I'll just buy the old model of 20w to be safer.

Are you sure you will never want plants in that tank? If you go too low, and you change your mind it will cost to upgrade. If you stick with the brighter one you'll have more flexibility later.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

That's a good point...

Back
Top Bottom