Getting anubias to flower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see that my new anubia had flowered! This thing is however that I have no idea what makes them flower or even why they flower. If anyone can help me or give me advice on how to make some of my other anubas flower it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

image-1893111287.jpg

image-2046951854.jpg

image-3279208281.jpg

Mine has just done the same thing but the flower is more yellow. Didn't think they should come to anything under water.

I've found that in tanks where I keep higher levels of phosphates (above 3ppm) my Anubia Nana's flower regularly and often with multiple flowers at the same time. Right now I think my one big A. Nana has 4 flowers on it in the 220g.

I've found that in tanks where I keep higher levels of phosphates (above 3ppm) my Anubia Nana's flower regularly and often with multiple flowers at the same time. Right now I think my one big A. Nana has 4 flowers on it in the 220g.

How do I check phosphate levels in my tank?

api makes a test kit for it I think I paid $4 for mine they might even have it a Petsmart but don't hold me to that I just got mine off of amazon!

I use the API Phosphate test kit also. I noticed when I started running my tanks with lower nitrates (10ppm) and higher phosphates that is when I began getting regular flowering and not just a flower randomly here and there. Since I've been doing this the past couple of years my Anubia nana's have done much better with flowering. I've also had my Cobomba Furcata flower twice. Not sure if the levels have anything to do with that but I wouldn't rule it out.

Back
Top Bottom