Getting back into the hobby--overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I recently got back into the aquarium hobby last fall when I set up a 10 gallon aquarium. I started out with 4 albino cories, 1 laid back betta, 3 ghost shrimp, and an ivory snail. I was later given some guppies (2 male, 1 female), and an African dwarf frog. I rehomed the 2 male guppies, but was unable to find a home for the remaining female.

To make a long story short, I now am left with:
4 albino cories
1 crowntail betta
1 ivory snail
3 ghost shrimp
1 female guppy
1 African dwarf frog

I do 1 50% percent want change and one 20% water change per week, vacuuming the gravel both times. I have a whisper 20 filter in my tank, and heat it to a steady 78 degrees. I target feed the frog and both the betta and guppy take pellets, one at a time. The cories, shrimp, and snail enjoy algae wafers and shrimp pellets, and I offer frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms 2 times weekly.

How badly am I overstocked? I do not want miserable fish. Should I look into a five gallon to reduce to bioload? I do apologize, it has been a while since I have kept a tank and my research has not been helpful. Any input is much appreciated!

I'm not 100% sure on the bio load of the frog but offhandedly you look okay for stocking. I wouldn't do more though.

What are your nitrate levels hovering around?

That I am not sure of. I ordered the API test kit, still waiting on its arrival. I definitely do not plan on adding anything else-the guppies and the frog were rather unexpected and sort of a 'they're better off with me than in their current situation' kind of deal, which is why I rehomed the males. I was content with my original stock and know I am not in the position to take on any other unexpected visitors. :)

As long as you are keeping your nitrates below 40ppm then everything should be great :)

I think that's fine and if you are overstocked I'm sure it's only by a tiny bit.

Oh, wonderful! I was scared I had created a harmful environment for my little buddies. Thank you both for putting my mind at ease! I will be anxiously awaiting my test kit in the meantime...and might throw in another small pwc before it's expected delivery date. :)

Back
Top Bottom