Getting established filter media from a friend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, get rid of the carbon? I figured the filter would be useless without the carbon since it's just a peice of mesh otherwise. What do I know, lol?

firteen888 said:
Wow, get rid of the carbon? I figured the filter would be useless without the carbon since it's just a peice of mesh otherwise. What do I know, lol?

The carbon is useful for absorbing odor and removing any meds you might have to use. Otherwise it's just a sales tactic to make you keep buying things every month. It's a horrible and unethical practice these companies use in my opinion.

wow, great to know. So the mesh alone is a sufficient filter?

carbon is also a good porous biomedia, but yea, it's not necessary, I don't use it at all. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's unethical for them to sell it, it's a water polisher and also used in water purification.

firteen888 said:
wow, great to know. So the mesh alone is a sufficient filter?

Yep, the mesh catches the solid debris in the tank and the bio-filter (bacteria) eats the toxins like the ammo. When you do your weekly pwc once the tank is stocked, fill up a bucket with either dechlorinated water or water from the tank and lightly swish the filter around to knock off debris and stick it right back in there.

jetajockey said:
carbon is also a good porous biomedia, but yea, it's not necessary, I don't use it at all. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's unethical for them to sell it, it's a water polisher and also used in water purification.

It's unethical IMO for them to recommend monthly replacement when they know that's the only filter people use in most cases. I think it's fair to say most of these companies don't care if you mini-cycle every month.

If you do use carbon and need to replace it on a fairly consistent basis, I highly recommend buying a good ceramic media and adding it in a mesh bag into your filter. It's never replaced, only rinsed out to clean off debris and holds a ton of the BB.

I highly recommend buying a good ceramic media and adding it in a mesh bag into your filter.

Since you're the pro, I will take your advice and remove the carbon when I get home. Are you saying I should replace the empty mesh filter with ceramic media? If so, can you link me to what you mean? Preferably from petco's site? thanks man.

It's unethical IMO for them to recommend monthly replacement when they know that's the only filter people use in most cases. I think it's fair to say most of these companies don't care if you mini-cycle every month.

Multi stage filters are always a better option, but a recommendation to buy more of their product regularly is not totally unjustified in this case because carbon has a limited lifespan as far as its filtering ability goes. And what company wouldn't jump on the chance of having repeat customers?

I think it's less of an issue with larger and higher quality filters that have multiple stages, like the aquaclears. It's also less of an issue in a well established tank, where removing the carbon filter monthly may not have as much of an impact in creating a minicycle.

I do agree with your point that it's unnecessary, though.

firteen888 said:
Since you're the pro, I will take your advice and remove the carbon when I get home. Are you saying I should replace the empty mesh filter with ceramic media? If so, can you link me to what you mean? Preferably from petco's site? thanks man.

Once you cut the carbon out, stick the cartridge that was holding it right back where it was. You can add the ceramic media in addition to it. They sell mesh bags at Petco and other lfs's you can stick the ceramic media (I use the Fluval brand) in and just keep it in permanently.

is this the stuff you're talking about eco? Where would I even fit this? Just throw it in anywhere?

Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter Bio-Rings Filt-A-Packs at PETCO

That's the right idea. Since that's prepackaged, it's probably too big to fit in your filter...I assume you have a hang on back filter? (HOB) Do you know which one it is?

I'll show you a link for what I use...

I've got a canister filter now...but I used to have a Tetra Whisper EX70 and I had ceramic media stuffed down into it.

Yup, I have the aquean 30 HOB filter. Not too big. So if I buy the ceramic separatly and buy a mesh bag, should I just toss 4 or 5 pcs in a mesh bag and throw it anywhere in the filter?

This is the media I use...
Hagen Fluval Biomax Filter Media at PETCO
I've also heard Eheim makes a good one.

And here's the type of bag you can put it in. Petco sells it, but it's not on their website.
Aquarium Filtration & Filter Media: Foster & Smith Aquatics Fine Filter Media Bag

The more you can fit in the better, but any is better than none.

I can't remember how big your tank is (I'll scroll up), but if you ever upgrade to a canister filter, theres actually entire trays inside which are made to hold it.

I'll buy that medium bag and pick up some fluval media at petco and fit what I can. My tank is 29 gallons.

eco (and everyone else), I really appreciate all your help. I'd be lost without you guys!

I'll buy that medium bag and pick up some fluval media at petco and fit what I can. My tank is 29 gallons.

eco (and everyone else), I really appreciate all your help. I'd be lost without you guys!

We're all happy to help. We were all newbies at one time or another :) You're picking up things really fast and you'll be handing out the advice to others in no time.

By the way, once you take out the carbon, the cartridges should become thinner and you can just absolutely jam pack the filter full if you need to. The bio-media is the most important part, really you just need a thin piece of actual mechanical filter to catch the fish poo. You can also buy rolls of just the filter floss if you go to the LFS...you just cut it down to size with a pair of scissors.

By the way, once you take out the carbon, the cartridges should become thinner and you can just absolutely jam pack the filter full if you need to. The bio-media is the most important part, really you just need a thin piece of actual mechanical filter to catch the fish poo. You can also buy rolls of just the filter floss if you go to the LFS...you just cut it down to size with a pair of scissors.

:thanks: :fish2: :thanks:

firteen888 said:
Hey eco, I took your advice and added ceramic media to my filter. Can you please take a look at the picture of my filter that I included and let me know if I put it in a good spot? I was able to fit around 28-30 pcs.

Thanks man!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

You've definitely got the right stuff :). Only thing I'd do is put the mechanical filtration before the ceramic media. That way the filter pad will trap all of the debris and fish poo before it gets stuck in the ceramic. Looks good!

Back
Top Bottom