Getting frustrated!! (Yup, another cycling question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I posted about a week ago about the fishless cycle I'm doing and got some great advice but it feels as if my cycle just won't move past a certain point. Here's my original post if anyone would care to read it "http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/first-fishless-cycle-am-i-doing-it-right-271222.html"

Since the last post my tank has been stuck on exactly the same results. Should I start all over again or is there a solution? I'm very close to giving up now as I've gotten nowhere in a month :(

Did you do as JLK suggested? You upped your heat to 86? Now by chance have you taken a ph reading? If ph drops to 6.5 bacterial activity slows down and if it drops to 6 or lower bacterial activity stops. Check this to be sure this isn't your problem. Cycling doesn't have a specific time schedule. An article may say 4 or 5 or 6 weeks but it really does vary from tank to tank. What is your ammonia level in the tank right now?

The heat is at 85 at the moment but it keeps fluctuating between 80 and 85, is this is a problem? pH is around 8. I know cycling time can vary but because there are no nitrites yet and my ammonia won't go down it just seems as if it's taking longer than it should at almost a month in.

What are your nitrites? The bacteria that consume nitrite take longer to establish themselves than the ones that consume ammonia. And if you have a very high level of nitrite it just prolongs the process. Be patient, it WILL happen :)

Haha that's ok but yep, nitrites are still 0 I've just tested them. I guess I just need to be a little more patient

Back
Top Bottom