Getting help with an overstocked fantail goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monster Goldfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone

I have 4 goldfish fantail :D 2 small ones which are about 2.5 inches long and 2 bigger ones which are about 4.5 inches long in a 20 gallon aquarium :nono: although water capcity is only 16 gallons :ermm: . I have a cheap Chinese internal filter :eek: which comes with a sponge media as shwon in the picture attached . It is wriiten on tthe filter that it filters 800 LPH which is 222 GHP :brows: . I have small white pebbles as substrate and one plastic plant ( were two plants but I removed one because it broke apart while cleaning it :oops: ) . I also have a background that makes the aquarium look heavily planted
;).

Please see the pictures attached to get a closer look
to the situation :D

The help I need is ...

How can I keep the aquarium as healthy as possible having the pre-mentioned 4 goldfish knowing that I'm planning on getting Aquaclear 50
soon and I'm also planning on getting a 75 gallons tank next year or so.

Please give me as much adivce as necessary like :

- how much and how often should I do water change ? is 20% every 5 to 6 days enough ?
- how many goldfish sticks should I feed them because they can eat very fast so the 2 minutes rule is not working for me they eat their food in seconds ?

- If you have anything you want to advise me , please do not hesitate.

Important Notes :

I don't have access to Water Conditioners nor Water Test Kits
as they are not avaiable in Libya and I can't buy and ship them from US because liquids are prohibted aship material. No matter how much I try I can't get them :banghead:

Regards

Mohamed Nagem

Attachments

• Aquarium-Internal-Filter-ML-1800IF-.jpg
    Aquarium-Internal-Filter-ML-1800IF-.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 98
Welcome to AA!

Well, conditioner is an absolute must. Chlorine in the water kills the beneficial bacteria that breaks down waste. Would you have access to test strips? They aren't as accurate as liquid test kits but given your situation it would be much better than nothing. You need to monitor your tank parameters to make sure nothing is wrong. I would do at least 30% water changes every other day.

Hi! Water changes, water changes, water changes until you can upgrade them to a much bigger tank. A water conditioner is a must- temperature match & properly condition any new water for changes. I honestly would change atleast 50% every other day to every day. Start feeding them daily plain cooked veggies- it will give them something to munch on without drastically affecting water quality in addition to their regular food. Here's a link on goldfish care I posted elsewhere but it covers the basics & feeding concerns- please ask any questions you may have! http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

You should be able to order in the chemical that dechlorinates the water, sodium thiosulfate. You can find it on eBay. It's way cheaper than liquid dechlorinators too.

Welcome to AA!

Well, conditioner is an absolute must. Chlorine in the water kills the beneficial bacteria that breaks down waste. Would you have access to test strips? They aren't as accurate as liquid test kits but given your situation it would be much better than nothing. You need to monitor your tank parameters to make sure nothing is wrong. I would do at least 30% water changes every other day.

I agreee that the conditioner is a must and top priority and I will try
harder to find it as soon as possible . As for test stripes they are as you said
inaccurate and sometimes completely wrong plus they are more expensive
but I might be obligied to get them as a final solution. As for the water change Isn't it much to change 30% every 2 days ? Remember that I don't have a conditoner that's like adding more cholorine to the tank ?

From what I can see I would also raise the water level higher and as well as what's posted above

That's a great idea ! I'll do it right away !

Hi! Water changes, water changes, water changes until you can upgrade them to a much bigger tank. A water conditioner is a must- temperature match & properly condition any new water for changes. I honestly would change atleast 50% every other day to every day. Start feeding them daily plain cooked veggies- it will give them something to munch on without drastically affecting water quality in addition to their regular food. Here's a link on goldfish care I posted elsewhere but it covers the basics & feeding concerns- please ask any questions you may have! http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

50% water change every 2 days is reallly too much . It's goldfish we're talking about here . It can cope very very awful water condition for a
very long time. As for feeding , I feed them goldfish sticks after taking out
the compressed air using a syringe so that they sink in the water . I also give them grated cucumberand carrots. also slices of lettuce and some fruits like
sliced grapes but do I have to boil them the next time or give them raw after cleaning them well under water ? and how much should I feed them ? they eat fast in seconds and are still hungry and when I give they eat again but after the third time they become less interested for food.

You should be able to order in the chemical that dechlorinates the water, sodium thiosulfate. You can find it on eBay. It's way cheaper than liquid dechlorinators too.

I first wanted to get Seacehm Prime water conditioner but it's liquid so I tried to get seacehm Safe which is chemical and both chemicals and liquids are prophibted for international shipping . :nono::nono: Thanks for your suggestion ;)

I found a seller on eBay that ships from Thailand and will ship to Libya, for free even! 50 Grams Ziplock Bag Sodium Thiosulfate Water Dechlorinator Aquairum Fish Tank | eBay Check it out.

Thank you very much for your concern. Unfortunately shipping to Libya isn't
a good idea because it will probably get lost or even stolen in the main post office or even before arriving there . Mailing system is horrible here in Libya. We don't have ZIP codes or anything relating to mailing system. We don't even have GPS ! Add to that that Libya isn't supported by PayPal . Anway , I only buy from Amazon then get them ship the items to my US PO Box and then my mail forwader get the items to Libya and I go pick it up from their office in Benghazi , Libya. This is the service I'm using Aramex Ship & Shop

Back
Top Bottom