Getting into saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey.

I have a 45 gallon reef tank, which I honestly know nothing about. It's in my living room, has a bunch of coral and fish, and people come and clean it every month. I won it, maintenace included for like 10 years and everything.

So I know nothing except that anemones move. Lol.

I'm looking to start a SW tank.

I am looking for 2.5g-40breeder capacity.

I want the entire cost to come out LESS THAN 400$.

I just honestly have NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

Lol.

I need a list please, anything you guys can tell me. I will be looking up tank prices to tell you what size I'm getting..

Thanks,

QP

First, I would recommend learning some of the science behind a saltwater environment. The second sticky in this forum has some useful articles you can look into. Me or someone else in this forum could post a ton of information about it but I find its better to research the subject yourself with some help from others along the way.

read up on biological filtration and live rock and also water chemistry and the cycling process there are a lot of really smart people on here willing to help you if you are willing to help your self by doing independent research i have learned everything i know from the people here also craigslist ebay and amazon are your best friends

I know all about bio filtration, cycling (I run freshwater).

Ok, I will do that. See ya when I do my reading!

Please tell me what I need (Tank is gonna be 20 or more gallons)

Just yes or no to each-

Live Sand (Can it come from the beach?)
Live Rock (I'm using anyways)

RO/DI unit
UV Sterilizer
Sump
Overflow
Powerhead

QuietPlotter said:
Please tell me what I need (Tank is gonna be 20 or more gallons)

Just yes or no to each-

Live Sand (Can it come from the beach?)
Live Rock (I'm using anyways)

RO/DI unit
UV Sterilizer
Sump
Overflow
Powerhead

RO/DI unit yes
UV Sterilizer un needed
Sump recommended but not needed
Overflow yes if you go with sump
Powerhead yes

I would get atleast two power heads you want to shoot for 10x turnover so 45x10 450 gph of flow also look at a protein Skimmer rated for twice your tank size

My 45- I won that big thing. There was a drag race with 60mph go-karts here in FL. I said eh, whatever, and went for it. Imagine my shock when I won.

Later, they sent a few dudes with a tank over to mize, 45 gallons. They installed the equipment, added sand, added LR. They much later on added corals. A few crabs. Then they added fish. I paid for this, but only for the fish and inverts. They come once a month with buckets of water that "they have too many of" and clean my tank.

I wanted to start one for myself, learn how it happens, the fish, corals...

Thought it would be a great experience.

QP

Back
Top Bottom