Getting kribs to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was wondering if anyone can tell me how to entice a krib pair to breed before I bought them the seller was sure that they have had 3 lots but all died. Since I have brought them home they have not even looked like they are interested but their bond is strong by the looks of it.

Any advice would be good

i put a cave in my tank with some moss and the kribs were protecting it the next day looks as if they are goin to lay in there .... if this helps

Like a lot of fish, they're not gonna breed instantly. They'll need time to condition for breeding, realise they want to breed with the other krib and pick out a spot. Live foods to condition them. Also give them a cave which has one entrance to defend and a roof (they lay eggs on the roof).

When did you get the kribs?

What size tank and what else is in there?

Is the tank cycled?

What type of decor do you have?

Are you sure you have a male and a female?

I have had the kribs in the tank for about 2 or three weeks and I know they are male female and have bred before the tank is about 15g and has the 2 kribs a kuhli loach and 2 clown loaches that are small but coming out when my new tank is cycled. My tank is cycled to the best of my knowledge it has been going for about 3 months but being my first tank I am not sure if it is settled I have lost a few fish along the way. The tank is simple with gravel and a bit of wood a skull and a sunken helmet with 2 entrances an a few fake plants at the main entrance to the helmet and around the skull to break the line of sight.

Hope this helps

What are you readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If you don't have a test kit, I recommend the API master kit. If you don't know the nitrogen cycle (although since you mentioned cycling I presume you do), please let us know.

In my opinion, a 15 gallon tank is too small for breeding kribs. I had mine in a 30 and can't imagine doing it in a smaller tank.

The tank is also too small for your kuhli loach. He also needs buddies. I have a dozen kuhlis in a 46. They need lots of room to zoom so again, I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 30.

What size tank are you upgrading your other loaches to?

Yeah nitrogen cycle I know and I don't have a full test kit yet but will put it at priority.

Bummer I wanted to have kept them in the 15 with maybe a couple if rainbow fish but it is looking like it is to small to keep it going like it is.

The tank that is coming is a 70g tank with alot of height for the loaches and I was going to find fish to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom