getting new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisymay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I ordered a 5 gal marineland. very excited. my poor betta fish is in a vase with no heat as i heard the small tank heaters fry fish. he really needs a heater.(my first year with a colder house )I have had him for a year.

so should i still wait to cycle the new tank or is it ok to put him in it after de-clorinating the water and slowly heating the tank? and do daily water changes?

i also ordered plants and planning on using sand.the water is spring water that has a chlorinator system.Hopefully this summer it will change..

Ps.
anyone have any MTS and/or used filter media to help start up the tank faster? if so please pm my price.

I ordered a 5 gal marineland. very excited. my poor fish is in a vase with no heat as i heard the small tank heaters fry fish. he really needs a heater.(my first year with a colder house )
so should i still wait to cycle the new tank or is it ok to put him in it after de-clorinating the water and slowly heating the tank? and do daily water changes?

i also ordered plants and planning on using sand.the water is spring water that has a chlorinator system.Hopefully this summer it will change..

Ps.
anyone have any MTS and/or used filter media to help start up the tank faster? if so please pm my price.

You're in a rare and bad situation, :cool:
Put the heater in his vase. Just have it set to seventy five degrees (avrg. temp).
You didn't specify what fish you have? If you tank is still cycling don't put him in there, ammonia is like fire to a fish. Do weekly 25 percent WC's on your cycling tank and take everything as you normally would. Plants will assist the cycled by absorbing some excess nitrates and ammonia, but don't think they will get it all. You can purchase products to cycle or assist cycling your tank on various websites. Do you know the parameters of the vase the fish is currently in? I would also like to add anything under a five gallon tank isn't suitable for fish (other than micro rasboras, and shrimp, variety of inverts).

sorry just fixed the post. he a betta. . i just have been changing half the water in the vase with de-chlorinated 48 hour siting out water. and put him on top of my gecko enclosure for some added heat(which isnt much)
i ordered the heater the same time as the tank and should be here in a week. i dont have a local petstore.
i dont have room for a bigger tank and anything that is heavier.
i do not have much experience other then my pond fish which are doing excellent.

sorry just fixed the post. he a betta. . i just have been changing half the water in the vase with de-chlorinated 48 hour siting out water. and put him on top of my gecko enclosure for some added heat(which isnt much)
i ordered the heater the same time as the tank and should be here in a week. i dont have a local petstore.
i dont have room for a bigger tank and anything that is heavier.
i do not have much experience other then my pond fish which are doing excellent.
How many heaters did you order? If you ordered one put it in the cycling tank. with the vase I recommend only twenty five percent water changes a week. Do you know the parameters of that tank?

Back
Top Bottom