getting ready to add LS and LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkornstarx2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to add 20lbs of LS and 12lbs of LR to my 10g tank....what goes in first, sand or rock? i know the rock has to be in contact with the bottom of the aquarium so im thinking about adding the first level of rocks...then adding the sand...then adding the rest of the rocks.....also, will the die off from the LR make the sand really dirty by the time the cycling process is over? Thanks.

you can put the base peices of lr in first, then put the sand around it, this is so the lr has a solid base, sand can get moved around by critters and then you could have an avolanche. you can syphon off the die-off from the bottom.

I dont know why they have to be in contact with bottom. I put sand in first and then rock on top. Just dig rock in on top of sand. Whatever you do just let sit a few days and tank will settle and be clear.

I dont know but I compared three tanks and it seems better if you add PVC pieces and put rock on top and add sand..

Rock I beleive has to hit the glass or on pvc because the sand on bottom I think wont come live..

three tanks i have noticed:

bare bottom Nitrites <5 ppm

Sand first Rock Last Nitrites around 10-20ppm

Rock on PVC Nitrites 0 ppm

And all three tanks have same water, etc.. So I guess from my test ROCK ON PVC is the way to go..

I don't see how pvc would have any effect on the nitrite levels. There must be another force at work here. How established are these tanks? Do they all have the exact same bio load, ls and lr and all other parameters?

If the covered sand will not become live then neither will the covered parts of the rocks. No gain or loss either way.

The benefit of the rock in first is so it will be held in place by the surrounding sand. If you are concerned about the rock being in contac`t with the bottom glass then just put a shallow layer of sand down, place the rock on top of this then add the remaining sand.

Brian

I just use a couple of pvc couplings (4") to lift support my LR and not waste it on being under the sand.

I would like to see some pics of the live rock beaing supported by pvc

Back
Top Bottom