Getting started advice required please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

I am looking at starting a reef with fish tank and have been told I require the following items to start, it's not that I don't trust the shop I went to but I would like to check that I am buying items that are tested and would like advice from people who use them. I want to get it right ( or as right as it can first time)

So the tank I am looking at is one of theses:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396210151.170650.jpg

The cabinet is 120cm in length and features double doors which open to reveal a large sump for filtration of the main aquarium. The matching hood fits onto the top of the glass aquarium, which in turn fits neatly into the cabinet surround:
Max Length: 120cm
Max Width (front to back): 60cm
Max Height (inc. stand & hood): 148.5cm
Approx. Volume: 340 litres + volume of sump

I have been told to get the following:

Skimmer : Deltec MC500 £285
Return pump : no make or model just £99
Power heads : no make or model £143
Lights: 2x hydra + controller £469 + £95
Live rock : 40kg £400
Refractometer: £30
Heaters: 300W x2 £50

If anyone can recommend good makes for the items above without models next to them I would be grateful.

Thanks

Rob

I'm going with you are overseas, so I am not familiar with all the equipment, specially the lighting. But I can tell you that you can find a skimmer that is less expensive that will work just as well. Deltec skimmers are the most expensive ones available. lol Even here in the states.
But otherwise the equipment looks good. The refractometer is a great thing too, not many places will tell you that upfront. Looks like you may have a good shop that you are dealing with. :)

The only other issue might be with the live rock. You can get half the amount in live rock and the other half in dead base rock and it will all be live within a few weeks and the base rock is at least half the price of live rock.

I would use half live and half base rock also.. big coast difference and it will be able to cycle with the tank.. if you do get base rock just be sure to scrub the rock real good before you add to your tank. I also agree with the skimmer if you have the money they are great skimmers but really expensive. you could get away with a cheaper skimmer that would still be great with that tank

Back
Top Bottom