Getting Started questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Cakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all:

I finally decided to go from FW to SW with a 55gal tank. My plans are to start out with a FO with some reef rock for the natural look. I want to seed it with some LR until the rest of it goes live for a FOwLR, and then eventually, move all the way into a reef environment. Of course, all of this as I can afford the upgrades necessary to keep coral (i.e. one upgrade at a time)

I have about 45 pounds of Reef Rock in now, about 15 pounds of LR for seeding, about a 2" of live sand on top of a 2" base of crushed coral to keep too many rock slides from happening as the sand disintegrates.

I have a couple of questions:

1) do I need any sort of an outside box filter (already have the Protein Skimmer) with bio-filtering media? I have an old hang-on box filter that I can take the carbon out of and use the bio-media.

2) What counts in the amount of "flow" equation? In other words, I know I am looking for at least 500gph + of flow to start off with. Is this only measured by the flow provided by Powerheads and such, or can I use the old box filter, sans media, to bump up the flow rate?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
do I need any sort of an outside box filter (already have the Protein Skimmer) with bio-filtering media? I have an old hang-on box filter that I can take the carbon out of and use the bio-media.
Not really. Add some more LR and aggressive skimming and you will have all of the filtration you need. 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR should do the trick. HOB filters or canister filters require VERY regular maintanance but also provide a nice means of machanical and chemical filtration.
What counts in the amount of "flow" equation? In other words, I know I am looking for at least 500gph + of flow to start off with. Is this only measured by the flow provided by Powerheads and such, or can I use the old box filter, sans media, to bump up the flow rate?
Your skimmer will not really add much flow to the equation. I would go with at least three decent powerheads as well.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom