Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm supplying ammonia right now. you should've seen the looks I got in stores shaking the jugs of ammonia. Only way I knew to find if there were surfactants.
As far as the Fritz-zyme goes, I'd have to say that it's working. Added it last night when levels where 4ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and a trace of nitrate. This morning, ammonia is at 2pm, nitrites are around 2 ppm, and nitrates are at 5 ppm. I'll have to keep testing and dosing to keep it going.
All the extra(smallest container can treat up to 40 gallon) is in my fridge now. Didn't want it to go bad.
To me at least, it looks like it works. I actually tested about an hour after adding a whole 1/4 of an ounce(instructions say 1 ounce treats 40 gallon) of it to make sure that it wasn't chemical based, and the readings didn't twitch, but boy did they move overnight.

I've read that it is impossible to overdose on the bacteria. Someone will help here but you could, in my limited experience, just use the rest of it. You defiantly are cycling now. Good luck and keep us posted ...

You could get pygmy cories instead.

Not with a betta. Depending on the bettas personality the pygmys could be lunch. We've had bettas that didn't mind other tankmates, then we've had bettas that killed everything off. One female was psycho and killed off neon tetras, full grown corys, ghost shrimp and mystery snails.

That's exactly why I'm planning on adding him last and keeping a close eye on him for several days. If it looks like he's wanting to kill anyone, then he'll have to go to his own tank.

Very good move.

Another thing I learned with my cichlids that works pretty good with bettas is to move things around.

When we had a sorority tank, all females, and wanted to add a new fish, I'd do a water change and rearrange the decor. In doing that, it messes up their territory markers. Add the new fish, no territory to defend, everyone can pick territory at the same time.

DragonFish71 said:
Very good move.

Another thing I learned with my cichlids that works pretty good with bettas is to move things around.

When we had a sorority tank, all females, and wanted to add a new fish, I'd do a water change and rearrange the decor. In doing that, it messes up their territory markers. Add the new fish, no territory to defend, everyone can pick territory at the same time.

That's a really good idea!

I like that idea DragonFish71.
I made some other changes as well last night. Put an Aqua Clear 20 on(the one I had had way to much flow(top of the tank reminded me of rapids when the level got a little low), and I really didn't like the filter design) with the bio mat from the old one in the new one(plan ahead, when I need to qt anyone(newcomers is all I'm hoping to use it for), I'll already have the biological ready. Also added some shorter plants and did a little rearangment. Now, the only time you even notice the heater is when the light on it turns on. Don't even see the filter inlet from the front now unless you are looking for it. Also added one more bubble stone(buried under gravel as usual for me so far, line and all). I have to admit, it does look nice for the bubbles to be coming from the gravel instead of the obvious airstones sitting on top. Final addition was a check valve on the airline. Shut off the airpumps earlier and saw water starting to siphon right up and over, and I can't have that in case the power goes out.-

Tanks getting there on the cycle. Redosed to ammonia back up to 4ppm from 2 ppm last night(about 12 hours ago) and they're already back down to 2 ppm. Nitrites are holding right at 2 ppm still, and nitrates have gone up to between 80 and 160 ppm. Guess I'll be doing a pwc to prevent stalling of the cycle from nitrates, and so that I can keep the levels in the scales.
Question for you all though. Has anyone thought of using a 5 gallon water jug to keep dechlorinated water in for water changes with a heater so that when you do PWCs, the water going in will be the same temp and already released any trapped gases from the tap? If anyone has done this, how'd it work out?

I have not done that. IMO it is not necessary to do that. You can match the new added water temperature with the use o a thermometer.

Nitrates where approaching 160 ppm tonight when tested, so did a PWC(don't want the cycle to stall from too high of nitrate). The ammonia was down to 1 ppm(down from 4 ppm 24 hours ago), and nitrites where at 2 ppm. It's getting there. Can't wait till I see the bacteria chomp down on 4 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours and the nitrites stay at 0ppm, and it stay that way for a few days straight.
Only ran into one problem today. One of the two airpumps I was running conked out, and the one that was left was just barely enough to make any bubbles, so I had to go get a new one. Already looked into why it quit, and it turned out that the coil in it burned out.

P.S. Gues this has sort of turned into a setup log for this tank.

Thanks for the update. Been following. You and I are at the same point in our fishless cycle. I had to do two 80% PWCs to get my nitrates down. Finally got it to 40. My nitrites are still 5. Its eating ammonia almost as quick as I put it in. I am adding a minuscule amount just to keep them fed. Thanks for the updates and let's keep in touch. Wayne the Deckape

11x11progress.gif
vBulletin Message Cancel Changes Until I get fish, I'm going to keep it dosed to 4 ppm of ammonia every night. Last thing I want is to lose any of the bacteria between the cycle finishing and getting fish. Can't wait till it's done still.
The addition of one more airstone placed in a dead spot seems to have helped the cycle drastically. The deadspot was near the filter, and a little bit of air keeps the water circulating. Currently, all 3 sets of airstones are connected to gang valves so that once I'm ready for the fish, I can adjust the airstones individually. Right now, they are all at full bore to keep the water o2 levels as high as I can to help the bacteriaget well established.
I am worried about whether or not my water is alkaline enough to maintain stable ph levels for the fish. I'll have to get some of te tank water tested after the cycle is complete, and maybe even add in an alkalinity increaser to keep the ph stable, or at least more resistant to sudden and drastic change. Last thing I want to do is mess with the ph.
Wishing now that I had taken some pictures of the tank while I was setting it up. Already finding out that airhose doesn't like to stay burried by gravel alone, so I'll be having to find some of those hose clip suction cups to keep it buried.

Nitrates and Nitrites where off the chart today, but ammonia was down to .25ppm from 4ppm after 24 hours, so that part is almost done. One massive(almost all of it) pwc later, the levels are down to 0 ammonia, .5 nitrites, and 5 nitrate. Guess I'll dose it back to 4ppm of ammonia. Now to wait for the second set of bacteria to get firmly rooted.

Same thing I had to do
Was your ph low too. Mine was 6.2

not checking the PH until it's done cycling. I will be taking a sample in to have the alkalinity checked though, because I'd rather add a buffer to keep the PH stabil, than to have to adjust the ph directly.

Went ahead and checked everything last night. ammonia was down to .25 again(dosed it back up to 4ppm), nitrite were down to .5, nitrate was at 20, and the pH was 8.0.
Tonight, my ammonia is at .25, nitrite 2.0, and nitrate is at 40.
Looking at this, it looks like the second batch of bacteria are still getting going. Can we say torture while waiting for it to finish.
I am going to glue some gravel onto my home made tunnel's exterior. The gravel just doesn't want to stay on top of it.

The tunnel went and turned into a cave. Finally figured out how to get gravel to adhere to plexiglass. Worked in enough aquarium silicone to fully coat the gravel, and then put a coat of it on the outside of the cave. Finally, plaster siliconed gravel onto plexiglass, and pour some clean gravel over the top of that. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow, left my camera in my other truck. Only hard part was figuring out how to get silicone off my hands before it cures(can we say kerosene and lots of soap). Not going to touch the tank for a while now though.
Did my testing tonight, and my ammonia dropped to 0 from 4 24 hours ago, nitrites were up to 2, from 0 24 hours ago, and nitrates are at 40(after a bit of testing confusion on my part). At least the first set of bacteria are established now. Still waiting on the second set to finish getting established.

Here's my fish cave. Just have to wait for the silicone to be fully cured, not just the surface, to put it into the tank.
Inside View
showimage.php
100_3034.jpg

Front View
100_3032.jpg

Back View
100_3033.jpg

Back
Top Bottom