GH test colors a pain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the API GH test and I have a real hard time telling when it goes from orange to green. Is there a better test solution by a different company that is easier to see the color change so I can get a more accurate reading?

Yah, I try to white paper, sunlight, everything. It is not until the color changes a lot that I can really tell. I know my GH is at least 6 but it would be nice to know if it is actually 6-8-10 or 12 as sometimes it takes 12 drops for me to see an actuall color change that actually looks greenish instead of orangish greenish.

If the colors were only as simple as the KH test.

My API GH test became almost impossible to tell the difference as you have mentioned. I purchased a new one and now it's very easy to tell. My first one was a couple of years old BTW.

That could explain it. Mine is probaly a year old and god knows how long it sat on the shelf at my LFS. Will have to find a new one. Thanks

Fish- You're right, it's probably the age. I replace my test kits at least once a year, regardless if they are empty.

Back
Top Bottom