GH &Y KH water hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whodeymatt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm testing my water for GH and KH and I'm following the directions but am confused on how to understand the readings. It says add a drop and shake each time until the water in the tube changes colors. I think it took 9 drops for it to change but I don't understand if that is good or not. I have a 55 gallon African cichlid tank. All my other levels are fine and easy to read as I just match up my water in the test tube to the color chart for Nitrate, etc., Thanks.

Yes, the test is different and yes it is after a drop shake and keep going til the color of the liquid changes.

So what kind of fish are you planning for your tank? With the API test there are lists of types of fish which do well in that type of water parameters.

Is the water you are testing, tank water that has been in there a long time or new water from your tap?

I have African Cichlids. It's a well established tank. Haven't done a water change in a couple weeks.

You likely want the higher levels for your fish (I'm not as familiar with African Cichlids exact parameters).

The solids are present, and as evaporation of the liquid of the tank reduced water, just doing top offs of water continues to add more minerals to the tank as the minerals don't evaporate. Removing water can reduce levels of mineral content GH/KH.

Bottom line is that if you continuously do more top offs (unless it was RO water) than pwc you can end up with higher levels than you would want. You can always adjust to the number you want by doing more pwc (because you want more clean water and and adding less minerals (as in bottled additives) to make your water to the correct level necessary, or add RO water till it is where you want it to be.

You might already know that. [But I learned it from doing too many top offs and not enough pwc. Where I have 0 KH from the tap and moderate to low GH and after getting my new test KH/GH test I was puzzled why my KH test wouldn't work (just seemed it didn't because I didn't have any to detect) and why my GH was really high. :/ Always learning!!!] Test kits are amazing. I didn't know I would be doing "chemistry" in my living room. lol

Back
Top Bottom