Ghost catfish dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gigirod

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a fully cycled 56 gal tank with 7 Mickie Platies and 4 roseline barbs. Two days ago we bought two ghost catfish to add to the tank (they were the only two the store had at the time) knowing that they do better in groups, yesterday we went out and bought 3 more. When we first introduced them to the tank one started swimming with the barbs. It swam with them for a few hours and then went off on its own. We were hoping all five would immediately take to one another and start swimming around. Instead, we now have two that hide under a piece of drift wood, two that hide together under a shipwreck, and one that hides inside the boat. We're worried that they might die. They don't come out from their hiding spots, not even to eat. My husband has had to take long tweezers and put food in front of each group so that we know they eat. The other fish don't bother them.

My questions are: how do we get these guys to come out of their hiding spots? How do we get them to bond with each other? We thought of trying to catch them and putting them together in the small 5 gal tank we have just so they'd get used to one another. But it seems almost impossible to get them from where they're hiding. Any ideas? We're going nuts. :crazyeyes:

Glass catfish are moreso nocturnal,so I find the best time to feed is at night just before turning off the lights. The other fish start eating and some of the food gets into their reach and they realise there is more there to eat, then you turn off the lights and they come out and start chowing down. You can use slow sinking Pellets (like omega one sinking shrimp pellets), as the glass cats seem to be mid tank dwellers. I find that the pellets gives all my fish a good chance of getting something to eat.

Mine were a bit shy at first and also didn't hang out very much with each other. If you start feeding them more enticing food (I put blood worms and small fish pellets in front of my pump and they get pushed down and circulate more like live food and they always come out and eat hunt like crazy. I'd say just give it a little time and they'll start acting like normal fish. They prefer lower level lighting so maybe get some floating plants they could hang under? That way you'd be able to see them and they'd still be comfortable.

Thanks for the advice. We went out and bought some sinking pellets and are going to try them tonight. Somewhere I read that they have very poor eyesight and rely on feeling the food with their feelers. If that's the case, will they find the pellets?

Back
Top Bottom