ghost shrimp breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TidBitz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went and got a lot of ghost shrimp for my leaf fish to hunt ant decided to take a shot at breeding since I had I a 15g I just broke down and was laying around. I took enough acclimated water out of my big tank and filled er up. I have 19 ghost in there now seeing as I wouldn't be able to catch em out of my 55g. I'm sure I need to change filtration out due to the current, I am brand new at breeding these guys so can I have any other input on it please and thank you in advance. I also have a mystery snail in there and a few MTS do I need to be concerned with them eating the hatch lings <(can't remember the word) ? It has been running with shrimp for 4 days now with one juvenile loss.

ForumRunner_20130115_135411.jpg

They should breed on there own but ithink the babys will quickly get eaten by other shrimp theres not enough hiding spots

Macdaddydaze said:
They should breed on there own but ithink the babys will quickly get eaten by other shrimp theres not enough hiding spots

Not enough hiding spots, salt, or planktonic algae....

If you want to raise shrimp for feeding, have you thought about some low grade cherry shrimp? They are very easily reproduced and require no real special care.

Not enough hiding spots, salt, or planktonic algae....

If you want to raise shrimp for feeding, have you thought about some low grade cherry shrimp? They are very easily reproduced and require no real special care.

I have actually just don't like the prices for the amount (I'm cheap) but will be getting some eventually.

Better???? All real plants except for one in jar (old used plants with algae).
What do you mean by salt? Salt is not needed for breeding shrimp!!
ForumRunner_20130118_130245.jpg

Better???? All real plants except for one in jar (old used plants with algae).
What do you mean by salt? Salt is not needed for breeding shrimp!!

Some Ghost Shrimp are fully Freshwater, many are not and need brackish conditions for larvae stage. They are more primitive than RCS.

Do some reading.

Thank you all for your in put and help!!!!! I read up before starting this project and still am.

Cherry Shrimp will be the way to go... Just go to e-bay, there some REALLY cheap ones on there.

Thank you scottyhorse I will do that, though the ghost are bearing now I read more and more are having a hard time succeeding with them due to their use so I think I will be leaning towards the cherry. Here is the most recent pic of the set up minus the floating plants. Is there anything you see I may need to change? I will be adding a sponge filter also.

ForumRunner_20130123_151236.jpg

I never had much luck getting Ghost Shrimps to breed...though my RCS (Red Cherries) are very prolific even with minimal hands-on care. I actually left for vacation for a month, came back and they flourished off the algae/biofilm.

Like some mentioned, I would recommend a small golfball of moss/subwassertang (round pelia) in there for some of the baby shrimps to hide/hold onto/eat mulm off of. A sponge filter (and sponge cover over intake tubes) is highly recommended for shrimps. I had an Aquaclear 50 running in a 20G Long for two days and found several of my shrimps (adults included) inside of it. Who knows how many 'baby shrimps' were sucked in...Two of the adults were dead.

Thank you that is the most detailed advice I have gotten yet. I have some moss growing on a rock (Flame) under the plants so it's not easy to see) so O will switch that to your suggested and more of it. I thought about changing my substrate to I believe flouramax could be wrong of the name.

Some Ghost Shrimp are fully Freshwater, many are not and need brackish conditions for larvae stage. They are more primitive than RCS.

Do some reading.

After all my research, I have learned that shrimp originally come from brackish waters, though little salinity is needed, they do need this for ghost to survive.
http://www.fishforums.com/forum/inv...ding-ghost-shrimp-palaeomonetes-patulous.html
This is what I have chosen to go by.
Seeing as I started with these guys I want to give it a chance but probably will switch to RCS when I can. What's your input on this method? And my apologies for throwing out the salt thing so quickly.

So I couldn't pass a deal up (since myvsis paid for it) today on ebay 12 RCS, 12 malawa shrimp juvie and young adult, with naja grass and extras( 6 rams horn, 6 trumpet smails)

Back
Top Bottom