Ghost shrimp dying off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finian

Aquarium Advice Regular
I asked this in the unhealthy fish topic but I guess I could have asked it here.
I had about 7 ghost shrimp for about two or three months. They were doing great but last week I found a dead one. It was a larger one so I assumed it was old age. Few hours later there was another dead one and a few days after that another. I can't find the other shrimp, they either died and got eaten or are hiding.
I have a 45 gallon planted tank with mollies and khuli loaches. I did a water change recently and the water is testing fine. The fish are peachy as well.

There is a piece of driftwood in the tank I got from a lake. I cleaned it, boiled it, the works. It was in there close to the same time I got the shrimp. I don't know if it had something on it that didn't die from me boiling the wood :/

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Ghost shrimp life span is only about 6 months anyway. It going have been the would but I would think you would see a change in the fish. If I had to guess, copper in your tap water. Copper is toxic to inverts.

Caleb

Oh is it only that short? I didn't know that, thank you. And I am unsure about the copper. I just had our water tested but I don't believe they checked the copper.

Ghost shrimp life span is only about 6 months anyway. It going have been the would but I would think you would see a change in the fish. If I had to guess, copper in your tap water. Copper is toxic to inverts.

Caleb

Oh yeah.. What do you use to check copper? My shrimps are well in my community tank. But the shrimp tank doesn't seem to thrive very much.

Oh yeah.. What do you use to check copper? My shrimps are well in my community tank. But the shrimp tank doesn't seem to thrive very much.

Pretty sure you can just call the water company. I don't know besides that

Caleb

All I know is it happened suddenly. They all died within a few days. I saw three dead, the others vanished. I assumed the loaches ate their remains. It makes me sad but such is life
Will check the water!

Back
Top Bottom