Ghost shrimp eating habit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xdarkfaith

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys this might seem like a redundant question, but this evening i found a dead guppy in my tank, saddening. So i fished him out but then i noticed my ghost shrimp tugging at the fish, i let it go and it started nomming on it, do ghost shrimp eat guppies?!?!??

Hey guys this might seem like a redundant question, but this evening i found a dead guppy in my tank, saddening. So i fished him out but then i noticed my ghost shrimp tugging at the fish, i let it go and it started nomming on it, do ghost shrimp eat guppies?!?!??

Ghost shrimp are scavengers and will dine on just about anything that reaches the bottom ... flakes, pellets, wafers .. and dead fish:fish2:

Just about every species will consume a dead or dying fish. They do so mostly to keep the bacteria level to a minimum in their environment.

I have 2 Ghost Shrimp in my 29 Gal and if any of my little guys die over night or while I am at work and the shrimp find them before I do they are mostly taken care of. I have not had a problem with mine going after live fish just the dead ones. Some people say Ghost Shrimp will try and catch live smaller fish, (i.e. Neons) and eat them. I have not had a problem with mine. My shrimp tend to leave the head of the dead fish but take care of the rest.

I have had cheap feeder ghosties attack and eat platties and guppy fry, so I don't trust them anymore ;) more likely than not yours was eating it because it was dead. But I would just keep an eye on them.

There was a similar discussion about this a few days ago. IME, ghosts will eat anything, dead or alive, that they can get their hands on, they don't care. Now normally it's not a problem, it's not like they're going to eat all of your fish:p

Back
Top Bottom