ghost shrimp eggs disappeared?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolf0311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i woke up one morning and checked my tank and noticed one of my ghost shrimp had a couple of eggs, this was a first for me but i was prepared to put the shrimp in a separate tank when it was close to hatching time because i wouldn't want them to be sucked up by my HOB filter or eaten by my platy. later in the day the amount of eggs tripled and i got pretty excited about having a bunch of shrimp babies. however, the next morning i looked to check on her and all of the eggs were gone? what could have happened to them?

I think it’s safe to assume the Platy ate them unfortunately.. That, or maybe they got sucked up.. because if they’re floating around the top like a lot of shrimp eggs do, the filter could’ve moved them and sent them underwater and back up the filter.. maybe check inside the filter? If they’re there you might be able to save them...if not I’d bet they were eaten

i considered that, however they disappeared the day after she developed them. doesnt it take 3 weeks for her to release them?

Ohhh. It sounds like she might’ve dropped them prematurely, probably due to some stress or water changes... But yes it does take about 3 weeks normally.

some of my shrimp are turning opaque white or yellow, so im assuming theres disease or something im doing wrong, i would love to figure out whats going on. shes not opaque but do you think the sickness in the tank itself would cause her to drop them?

Absolutely. Turning cloudy is definitely a sign something is wrong. Maybe check your parameters and temp. Shrimp are sensitive

my perimeters are amm- 0ppm nitrates- 0ppm nitrites 40ppm. i know my nitrites are high but it comes out of the tap like that so im kind of stuck on that. temp stays at 80 degrees because thats the room temperature of my house so my heater isnt even on

Is your filter working well, or are you over feeding? How often do you do partial water changes?

And do you treat your tap water with conditioner? That’s helpful too

i dont have a good filter, topfin 10 power filter, but my water stays clean and clear so im assuming its working well. i perform at least 2 water changes a week, sometimes every day because my platy has a little finrot from when i got him at the store and it goes away and then comes back. i dont think im over feeding but it could be a possibility. i get 2 or 3 large flakes and crumple it up towards the filter "waterfall" so it goes in the water and the shrimp can get some.

Maybe the shrimp could be being impacted by the fin rot somehow as well. I’d invest by a good filter sooner than later too. I would also quarantine the platy until he’s fully healed. My shrimp didn’t eat flakes, they gravitated towards algae wafers and the natural algae on the plants or decorations. So maybe that could contribute to them being sick as well. I think there’s several things contributing to them getting sick and dying off eventually. They’re pretty sensitive to the smallest things. How long have you had them?

i have had them for about 2 months, i started off with 5 and i now have 3. one disappeared and the other died, he wasnt opaque until after he died though.

Sometimes pet stores use them as feeders for other fish, so they aren’t taken care of as well as they could be, so they don’t live as long. Found that out myself. Idk what else you have in there besides the platy but maybe consider quarantining the platy and starting over once he’s healed and the shrimp have died or gotten better. Cycle fully, make sure you can manage your levels still, and don’t add to much at once. There’s several factors so it’s hard to say for sure what’s killing them off.

Mine that apparently were from the “feeder shrimp” tank at the store only lasted 3 months, if that.

It's ghost shrimp they need brackish to salt water to have a chance of breeding

Back
Top Bottom