Ghost Shrimp Fry Dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Staceyr96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pregnant Ghost Shrimp has been giving birth for about four days. I never actually saw her give birth until today but her eggs have been disappearing. Today she only had two eggs left and I couldn't see any babies in the tank. She gave birth to one of the two a few hours ago. When she dropped it, it just fell on the bottom. It has not tail but I can see eyes. After further examination I see several on the bottom. Were they born dead? All the pictures I have seen of babies, they have tails. These definitely do not have tails and they are just laying there.

The unhatched eggs may have been dropped early as a result of stress. I have seen this occur with red cherry shrimp after shipping. Unlike RCS, the ghost shrimp life cycle is a bit more complex with the larvae entering a planktonic stage. Free floating food is essential to their survival and they are subject to predation from fish and ghost shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom