Ghost shrimp fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ldaniel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 5 prego dwarf ghost shrimp in the planted 25g tall, I also have two dwarf frogs and a small kory cat. Wanted to ask and see if anyone thinks that the cat or frogs will eat the fry if they get the chance? should I try and remove them (the cat and frogs) of just hope for the best?
Thanks,
Luke

Well, there were 6 fry two days ago, I saw two little shrimp that had changed out of the larvae phase yesterday and then last night as i was getting ready for bed i saw one of the little shrimps floating around upside down, assumed it was dead.

Unlike most other dwarf shrimp, American glass shrimp do not need brackish water to breed or for the fry to develop. That's one perk to starting with feeder shrimp lol.

The only dwarf shrimp that is readily available to hobbyists that need salt in the water for development are Amano shrimp and possibly pinnochio shrimp, all of the others are freshwater. Another dwarf that needs brackish/ saltwater is the Opae ula or Hawaiian Volcano shrimp but those are pretty hard to come by.

I'm sure both the cat and the frog will eat any shrimplets that make it past the larval stage they can and the adult shrimp will eat larva and quite possibly shrimplets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom