Ghost shrimp gladiators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright well last night i had to transfer the betta that i have in a one gallon into my ten gallon because the water params were a bit whacked out. I got everything back down to 0 by full water changes, so I decided to put my two ghost shrimp into the tank.. well I woke up today to one very Happy? and well fed ghost shrimp standing over the others body.
Did he kill her? Is this normal?

It's hard to tell if the victory shrimp is a killer, because if the other one died of some other cause the first one would still probably eat it. You could always add another one in the tank and see if that gets eaten too......then I'd be more sure you had a cannibal!

I've got a few Ghost Shrimp and they are not aggressive towards each other. Now they will fight over food and such but not to the point of death. My guess is that one died and the other saw a midnight buffet.

I have read that ghost shrimp will indeed, kill and cannibalize their own kind.

It's very likely that one of the shrimp died, and the other decided to have a snack. I haven't seen any of my ghost shrimp fight but I did read somewhere that higher temps make them more aggressive so, who knows?

I think what happened was that the other shrimp molted, and then the other killed her, and ate her. e.e;;;;

they are alot weaker durring molting so that would be a good asumption.... it it sounds like if you have more than one of them you would need to qt the one going into a molt if that was even predictable or noticeable.. :(

Back
Top Bottom