Ghost shrimp turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
My small colony of ghost shrimp are slowly turning cloudy/white one by one. It all started with the latest batch that I bought from the lfs, which had a few cloudy ones. My question is, what diseases affect shrimp that may do this to their color? How do I stop it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

These ghost shrimp are quite over bread for feeders. In my experience they don't live much longer than 6 months honestly. They are prone to many diseases.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

These ghost shrimp are quite over bread for feeders. In my experience they don't live much longer than 6 months honestly. They are prone to many diseases.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I'm using them for feeders, which is why I'm concerned. I feed them to my puffer and they live in the same tank. Should I remove the cloudy ones? What is the course of treatment if I have to treat the whole tank?

I have read that bacterial infections in shrimp do get transmitted to the fish that eat them, which is why I was hoping I could identify the cause, in case I have to treat the whole tank. Ugh! I'm never again buying feeder shrimp!

Yeah I honestly wouldn't feed them unless you get small amounts at a time. Feed your puffer trumpet snails and live brine shrimp or live black worms if you are able.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Yeah I honestly wouldn't feed them unless you get small amounts at a time. Feed your puffer trumpet snails and live brine shrimp or live black worms if you are able.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

My puffer refuses to eat snails of any size, mostly because the freaking shrimp get to the first. I even have a separate tank full of two kinds of snails just for the puffer and he won't touch them. I can try the brine shrimp and blackworms. He has been eating the freeze dried variety, not live.

That's odd. Maybe just to me but my puffers loved snails. Plus they need snails to help keep their teeth from growing to big. And I'm a little weirded out.... Your shrimp eat snails? My ghost shrimp have never once tried to eat the 20+ snails in the same tank.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

That's odd. Maybe just to me but my puffers loved snails. Plus they need snails to help keep their teeth from growing to big. And I'm a little weirded out.... Your shrimp eat snails? My ghost shrimp have never once tried to eat the 20+ snails in the same tank.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I have mentioned this in another thread. My ghost shrimp will eat anything that hits the water and stand up to the puffer. They eat snails by turning them and picking at the flesh with their pincers, one tiny bite at a time. They leave the shells completely empty. They are evil, greedy creatures.

Can you post some pictures of them for me? I don't think you have ghost shrimp.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

They were sold to me as ghost shrimp for the puffer. They were even kept in the same tank with the puffer at the store. Darn it. Let me get a pic.

Here.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428975504.987983.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428975531.139211.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428975553.688553.jpg
That's the best I can do. The tank is in my sons' room and they are sleeping.

Could be macrobracium shrimp

Sent via Impala

I shouldn't have googled it. Some of those pictures are the stuff of nightmares. That said, I also googled "ghost shrimp" and I'm pretty sure what I have is ghosts.

These look like ghosts to me. But it's weird... Mine are in no way aggressive. I would remove them from the tank because they seem to be stressing out your puffer.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

By the way, do NOT google "bay ghost shrimp." Do. Not.

Back
Top Bottom