Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can ghost shrimp live in brackish tanks? I've see people say yes and people say no. Anyone have personal experience with them in brackish water?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No experience but I would think the salt would have an affect on them being inverts.

Caleb

Yes, they can. I have a brackish tank for my puffers and they have been living with ghost shrimp for months. The shrimp do great.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Edit: they have lived in a range of 1.005 all the way to 1.016, and have done fine the entire time. Not a single death, except for when they become "puffer dinner."

They do fine in brackish water. I actually had a a few successfully breed in brackish water although the offspring didn't last too long.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are many types of shrimp labeled ghost shrimp. Some do fine in brackish water but the majority sold in pet stores are freshwater shrimp. All you can do is add them to the brackish tank and see how they do. The freshwater ones will only breed in freshwater. Young do not survive brackish water like the other poster said. The only thing I have found that kills them is too warm water. I had a heater malfunction and my water stayed in the 84 - 90 degree range and all my ghost shrimp and blue pearl shrimp died before I caught it. Now I check temperature daily. I haven't been able to get ghost shrimp in my area. There seems to be a shortage in eastern Kentucky for some reason.

I currently have 5 shrimp (4female 1male) I left the male and 1 female in my 10g betta which is their current home. Put 2 female in my 55g brackish and the other female in a 2.5 tank as she has eggs and if the female in the 55g survive I'll add the others to the tank and let the young in the 10g till more mature to increase survival. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom